still on fat32 but ready to convert

Status
Not open for further replies.

therealdeal329

just one question, i did some searching online, i dont want to lose any of the data i have currently on my hard drive, and i found this

Standard Windows utility that is called CONVERT serves this purpose

Just go to the Command Prompt and execute the command:

C:\> CONVERT C: /fs:ntfs

Where C: is a name of the drive you want to convert.

After machine re-boot conversion process will start and you'll have your FAT32 converted to NTFS without of data loss.

i got that from http://www.ntfs.com/quest3.htm has anyone ever done this, or does anyone know if i will lose data or not? im going to get a new drive within a few days, just waiting for it to come in, and i want to "ghost" all the info from my old drive to the new drive, but i want it to be setup on ntfs... this should do the trick right? :D i wanna thank you guys in advance, as always this place is great

thank u, im gonna try it now, lol before the girlfriend comes home from work...

im reading the second link that was posted, it kinda has me confused, if i convert to ntfs will the change of the cluster size affect me in a bad way?

well i converted, and it worked, it converted pretty fast in my opinion, i thought it would take longer, but my computer does seem to alittle bit slower, im gonna restart and see what happens, thanks again...

I didnt realize, but the other day I found out im using FAT32. Why should i convert to NTFS/whats better about it?

i decided to go with ntfs just cause it was something i can do, and it was something that i never really got to look into, i did some reading into it, and i found this http://ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm

i dont know how much of a difference it would make, but the page will give u some idea of what fat32 and nfts have as a file system

this was also on the ntfs.com homepage

NTFS is a high-performance and self-healing file system proprietary to Windows XP 2000 NT, which supports file-level security, compression and auditing. It also supports large volumes and powerful storage solution such as RAID.
The most important new feature of NTFS is the ability to encrypt files and folders to protect your sensitive data.

The most apparent use for NTFS would be the better support for large partitions (30GB+) and fault tolerance. I run both NTFS and FAT32 partitions and there is about 1/20 ratio between errors found in the NTFS partition vaersus errors in FAT after a crash.

FAT32 is rubbish as soon as you move over 32GB. In these days of large hard drives and so forth, you are a fool not to use it.

Its also got enhanced security and so forth as well, so its worth it for that. Not just only if you know how to work it, but also if you don't, since your OS is smarter than you might be in this reguard and knows how best to operate these settings.

Well I could have sworn I had it, since when I installed XP it gives you that option but apparently not....

FAT32 is rubbish as soon as you move over 32GB
Good thing my HD is 30GBs :D Gotta love DVDRs!

Ya I defently will, regardless of my knowledge of its changes - its newer, so its better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back