Still overheating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

techgeek05

:confused: Guys/Girls,

My CPU(AMD Athlon XP 2800+) is still overheating. As I write this, my cpu temp is at 73 degrees C. I just done the 60mm to 80mm fan conversion. I have the Dynatron Copper Heatsink with an Antec thermally controlled 80mm fan attatched and I used the Antec Silver Thermal Compound. I read that the fan is supposed to increase in RPMs as the temp gets higher. The RPMs are at a little over 2100 and won't go any higher. Should I get a non-thermally controlled one? Also, I can't seem to use the 3 pin to 4 pin connector either. Whenever I hook the fan up to the power supply, my pc stays on for maybe 10 seconds then shuts off. I can only use the mobo fan header but is this powerful enough for my fan? My exhaust fan(80mm Antec) is blowing out cool/cold air. Isn't it supposed to be warm? My case temp is at 30 degrees C right now. I'm so lost and not sure what to do.

Ray

Go to www.majorgeeks.com and download and install cpuidle it will cool your cpu by about 10 to 15 degrees. If you haven`t got it already then you need to download Motherboard monitor also from the same site.

Also when you took of the heatsink how much thermal paste did you use?

You only need a small amount about the size of a grain of rice applied to the boss of your cpu.

Did you clean the underside of the heatsink and the small metal boss on the cpu? You can use a little alcohol to do this.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

I went to Majorgeeks.com and downloaded the cpuidle. My temps are still the same though. I also replaced the thermally controlled fan with a standard 80mm Antec and replaced the all copper heatsink with a aluminum/copper hybrid to see if anything changes. Still the same. I also cleaned off the old paste and just put some(small amount) on the core itself. Still the same. I don't know what could be the problem. I better just start hunting a new processor cuz these constant 72/73 degree C temps are gonna kill my cpu off someday. Thanks for the help by the way Howard! :D

Have you checked in the task manager to see what cpu usage you are using?

Do you have a lot of programmes running in the background?

Just a thought!!

Regards Howard :grinthumb

Does your BIOS have a temperature and fan speed readout? I had a problem with my spare computer las week where the temps programs were saying it was at 70*c but the BIOS said 50* and that was the actual temp. The Motherboard Monitor alarm went off saying it was at 170*f but the heatsink was cold.

Howard, with the CpuIdle my CPU usage was at 100% all the time but when I disabled it, usage went down to about 4% or so.

Vegasgmc, temps read a lot lower when I first start up my pc and go into Bios. Start up is the only time we can check temps in Bios, right?

When cpuidle is running it is quite normal for your cpu usage in the task manager to show 100% although the cpu itself is not running at that percentage this is due to the way that cpuidle works.

Your cpu usage without cpuidle running is 4% this is the true value.

You are correct in thinking that you cannot access the bios except at startup.

Regards Howard

:grinthumb

I should have been more clear. After the processor gets hot reset the computer and go into the BIOS and see if the temp reading there matches whatever program you're using.

I had similar problems with the XP 3200+ CPU on my ASUS A7N8X Deluxe boards. Don't recall the exact numbers but one of the boards did not let me set the CPU faster than 2.19 GHz, rather than the close to 3GHz I had set on the other board. That did it for me. Now with 2.19 GHz, when the load goes up the temperature goes up, but never much about 50 degrees C when before I went well into the 60s.

I should have, but never took the time to check with AMD what the highest normal speed is for their CPU(s). Their tech support people were quite cooperative but did not have a clear answer when I first contacted them with this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back