Stock Pentium 4 3ghz x2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LXIX

I was looking at the hardware on a HP compaq and it said the cpu was a Pentium 4 3ghz. It had it listed there twice. Under the device manager it also had it listed twice. Does this mean it has like dual core? That would be great if it does because then i can salvage it.

What's the model of your machine?

Unless it is a Pentium "D", the Pentium 4 class was not dual core. However, most models did support Hyperthreading, which had a side effect of making a single-core CPU show up as an SMP system.

Most likely, you simply have a single-core P4 with hyperthreading support.

ah damn well is that still good? good enough so that i don't have to buy a new cpu which i don't really feel like doing..

what is it you are trying to do that you are afraid you CPU can't?

unless you are a heavy gamer, an extreme multitasker or doing some form of video editing, audio editing or CAD, there's probably nothing the cpu can't do for you

yea i'm actually the head designer for rebuilding the lost city of atlantis out in the south pacific. I needed a good computer so i could design it and stuff.

Well, if you buy a new dual core CPU, make sure it's a Core 2, not a Pentium D. Pentium D's are total crap compared to Core 2s.

then if u have the max cpu u are at the end of that system, and getting another P4 would not do u any good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back