STOP 0x00000050, ntfs.sys error, HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't boot to Windows XP after memory installation

Hello all the experts, and the rest,

I have a Dell Dimension 4600 with the following specs:
PROCESSOR, 80546, 2.8, 1M, PENTIUM 4 PRESCOTT DT, 800, D0
2 DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 128, 400M, 16X64, 8K, 184

I decided to add some more memory and installed two different PC2700 memory sticks that seemed to meet the specs for the 4600. One had Spectec chip on it and the other one was from Dell (turned out it was an upgrade for Dimension 4550 model, most likely incompatible). Both chips were 256MB.

After my installation, I plugged in the power cord, turned on the computer, saw the Win XP logo and that was it. The CD-ROM would sound like playing an old lp (scratchy) and the hard drive came on for a second or so and then stopped. The black screen with 4 different boot up options came on asking
to press the number of my choice. Well, I chose "Boot windows normally", same thing as before, it came back to the same screen with options. Next, I chose "Boot to last good known configuration", the CD-ROM just emitted the usual scratching sound and the HD came on for second and again back to
the black screen with options. Third try, I chose "Boot to Safe Mode". No go. Next, I unplugged the computer and removed the memory I had put in and left the original configuration in. Plugged the power cord in and turned on the computer. Same problem, it won't boot up. Then I put the Dell Diagnostic CD in and ran all the tests for about two hours. Every single one came back with
"Passed" green light. Hard drive and the memory seem to be ok, all connections are fine, all cables work, I just can't get past the Windows logo and the following "boot option screen".

Next, I tried clearing the CMOS by removing the battery and setting the values to their defaults. Now I get the following when I try to boot to XP CD to repair or reinstall XP:

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
The problem seems to be caused by the following file: ntfs.sys"

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xE1187000, 0x00000000, 0xF8F56E89, 0x00000001)
*** ntfs.sys - Address F8F56E89 base at F8EE9000, DateStamp 3b7dc5d0

I have nothing else connected to my computer except PS2 keyboard and mouse and my monitor. Please, help! Can anyone tell me how to access Windows? The computer is practically brand new. It had been used only for about 4 days prior to this. I installed XP Pro from scratch with all the updates several days earlier. What can I do to get my Dimension working again?
Thanks for all the help.

Hi,

Run chkdsk /r at recovery console. If it still crashes, the priogram may be related to faulty ram. Run memtest to stress test the ram and attach 5 to 6 minidumps here. You can find the minidumps at the folder \windows\minidumps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back