Stop Error (BSoD) BCCode: 77 - Minidumps Attached

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Gateway MX6920 running WinXP MCE 2005 with SP2. that has been crashing. I first had this type of random reboot on 11/24/07, and have been having them somewhat regularly since. As far as I can remember, it's always been BCCode 77. The BSoD would only flash for a second before the computer reboots, and when Windows would load up again, there would be a dialog: "Windows has recovered from a serious error" with links to the minidump files.

After some research, I came across the "Before posting your minidumps, please read this" guide on this forum. I ran a disk check (today's check said the volume was clean), ensured the RAM contacts were clean, ran Memtest86+ for 13 passes or so with no errors, ran Everest today (hardware report attached, not sure how to interpret the information on power supply or temperature), and have cleared my pagefile twice since the errors started with an accompanying defrag to no avail.

The only thing I noticed was that the Everest report includes the following in its Overclock section:
Code:
CPU FSB  	266.06 MHz (original: 133 MHz, overclock: 100%)
I don't remember ever going into the BIOS to set this up, and I'm not sure whether that can be the culprit.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• Mini020308-01.dmp
    96 KB · Views: 7
All four minidumps say the the same thing: 0x77 error wiith probable cause memory corruption. However, from auhma.org:

0x00000077: KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR

A page of kernel data requested from the pagefile could not be found or read into memory. This message also can indicate disk hardware failure, disk data corruption, or possible virus infection.

1. Run a full harddrive diagnostis as soon as possible.

2. Scan for viruses, etc.

3. MemTest isn't perfect; perhaps you should run each memory stick individually.

4. Also, if you are overclocking I have seen crashes occur because of the voltage setting of the RAM. If you have oced perhaps you should lower your voltage on your memory and see if that brings stability.

Thanks for the advice. Any recommended HDD diagnostics software? Preferably free (as in speech or beer)?

I'll go into the BIOS and un-overclock...I didn't even know about it, and I haven't done so yet because I needed to do some work.

Thanks so much for your help.

You are welcome. There are plenty good free harddrive diagnostic utilities. If you check out TechSpot's Storage and Netwrk forums here there is a sticky at the top entitled Drive diagnostic utilities compendium. It contains links to all major and minor harddrive manufactures and their diagnostic tools.

Let us know if you gain stability or continue to have issues.

Drive Fitness Test

Route44 said:
You are welcome. There are plenty good free harddrive diagnostic utilities. If you check out TechSpot's Storage and Netwrk forums here there is a sticky at the top entitled Drive diagnostic utilities compendium. It contains links to all major and minor harddrive manufactures and their diagnostic tools.

Let us know if you gain stability or continue to have issues.

So my computer has been continuing to have many STOP: 77 errors lately. I went and got DFT (HDD diagnostic tool), and ran an advanced test, which returned a "Disposition Code = 0x72". The user guide said this means:
Device S.M.A.R.T. Error.
The Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology (S.M.A.R.T.) has detected a drive problem.
The drive may fail soon and should be replaced as soon as possible.

I'm currently running an exercise test on it, but if the result is the same, is this the cause of the stop errors? If so, can i fix it by erasing the drive with one of the utilities of DFT, or will I need to get a new one? My drive can definitely use some cleaning up anyway...always look on the bright side of life, eh? :D

EDIT: The exercise test completed and returned the same error.

Okay, first thing I would do is back up everything that is critical in ways of data and anything else you want/need to save! Burn CDs -DVDs, flash drives, external harddrives, etc. Your harddrive could go anytime it feels like it and then data recovery will cost you $200-$300 on the average.

Go ahead and clean up, but you have a physical issue with your harddrive. You are going to need to replace it and the sooner you get your information off the old one the better.

Keep us up to date. Good luck.

Already did a new major backup last night. ;)

I believe this is still under warranty from Circuit City, would you (or anyone else) know whether they'll have to ship my laptop to some other center to diagnose (since I assume they would have to diagnose it themselves by policy) or be able to do it and replace the HDD on site? I'm a student and heavily depend on my computer, so if it would take 3-4 weeks (a figure I've heard before for Circuit City), it may be worth it to just replace it myself.

Well I know that Staples warrenty stipulates the first year as onsight repair and after that they ship it out.

I would check to see if Circuit City has basically the same policy. Here is the thing. If you do it yourself you'll need to have a Windows disk to install the OS and then you'll need to install all your backed-up data. But you can go out today, buy a new harddrive and have it installed and ready to go -- as long as you have a Windows OS disk.

If you do go Circuit City's way, yes, you'll have some delay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back