Stop errors from Hades

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been trying to get my roommate's computer to operate properly. It had been rebooting periodically at odd intervals. Sometimes it was relatively stable.

I downloaded/ran a virus checker which got rid of a few things. I also went to Windows Update, installed the latest service pack (for windows 2000) and got about halfway through the other installations when ... his computer rebooted. Argh!

Now I can't even get into Windows. I myself don't run windows 2000 and as far as we can tell, my roommate doesn't have any kind of bootable disk for his computer at all. (argh!) I get one of two stop errors on startup: 0x0000001E (KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED) or 0x000000A5 (bios not ACPI compliant).

At this point I'm about to suggest he just get a new OS and reinstall everything, in the hopes that will actually work, or at least work long enough to correct any bios problem. I figured I'd at least poke around a bit online first to see if there were any other options.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

guess I can't edit here..

I just wanted to add that what he's running is actually Windows 2000 Professional, if that makes a difference.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

If your room-mate doesn`t have any kind of bootable disk you may well be correct in suggesting a new OS especially if you can`t boot into safe mode.

May I also suggest that you take a look at the following thread to see if there`s anything that might help you. www.techspot.com/vb/topic8356.html

Regards Howard
:wave: :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back