Storage server

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMH

I'm thinking of getting a few HDDs (say, 3-4x 250ghz) and set up the computer to be a storage server for my 3 computers (adding a 4th later).

Most probably going to be used for MP3s, Videos and games. Work files will be stored there, but nothing that requires high security, and ample backups will be created.

Is there any problems associated with this? If someone downloads a virus and stores it into this computer, will this computer have problems?

I'd also need some advice on setting up (striping) RAID on 3-4 HDDs. I do know that I'll have to buy all 3-4 HDDs brand new to do this (I don't have 250gb disks to start with anyway), and probably a RAID controller. Anyone has a good site I can refer to to set these up on SATA drives?

Oh yeah, this is on my first PC, info should be available on this site. ATM, there's space for 1 more SATA HDD, so I'll need a card or some way to add another 2 SATA HDDs. On physical inspection, I've got a couple of PCI slots free.

Unless you decide to share your server's system drive then the server OS will be safe from viruses uploaded by clients. Many viruses are able to infect files on network drives so running an antivirus on the server would still be a good idea to help contain possible outbreaks.

SATA RAID controller cards come with at least 4 SATA ports so just one PCI controller is enough. Whether you have room for 4 drives in your computer case is another matter of course :p

I would recommend you install the server OS on a separate non-RAID hard drive attached to the builtin controller. This will make things more robust and simpler plus separate your OS and data which is always a good idea.

After reading up a little more, I think I'd abandon that 1tb raid server... I can't backup 1tb easily for obvious reasons, and I can't have it dying on me. Thanks for the replies tho, and yes, I do keep my OS seperate from data like everyone who knows anything about computers should :p.

I still like the idea of having a 1tb server though.... At the moment I feel that it is such a waste that I've got games installed on 3 comps wasting all that space when they could be installed on one comp.

Come to think of it, maybe I can ressurect my P3 and use that as a strict data server, no monitor, keyboard and mouse just to start it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back