Strange behavior and massive slowdown - is it a virus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I've had a host of strange things happening on my computer lately like languages being changed to Portugese on MS Word and my C: drive suddenly getting filled up to the tune of 15GB before being cleaned out by disk cleanup. I was running NOD32 before and had no problems whatsoever, but my brother switched to Norton briefly when he brought the laptop to work. Since then everything has hit the fan. Neither NOD, nor Kaspersky has been able to find anything and I have run about ten different virus and malware sweeping programs only to find a handful of tracking cookies.

The computer has, perhaps as a result of all of this, become painfully slow when it has been quick and nimble until very recently. I defragged my hard drive as well, but the slowdown persists.

I would appreciate any help people could offer in this matter.

Many thanks,

Jason

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I can find nothing particularly nasty in your HJT log.

The reason your system is running slow is because you`re running more than one antivirus programme. This is not recommended as it will slow your system down and can cause conflicts.

Uninstall Symantec/Norton crapware. If you have any problems uninstalling it, take a look at this thread HERE.

The fact that you didn`t have any problems until you brother installed that crap software, is almost certainly the cause of your problems. I think you should tell him never to install anything ever again lol.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of juliocanzone only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

this happend to me once and the cause was the use of mcafee av which was checking everything before loading. try disabling u'r av's and see the difference.

try using a proxy while surfing non standard sites which may install spywares/adwares in the background. you can try some proxy's here

I'm pretty sure that if you uninstall that crap, your system should be quicker :)

And if the system is still slow, maybe a full format would be required to make it faster.

BTW, Welcome to Techspot!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back