Strange behavior from DVD-RW drive...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Running under XP Sp2, my DVD-RW has a quirk that is making things very difficult for me.

I can run Ghost, and backup the c: drive. But when I try to access those files by booting from the DVD drive, it comes back with an error that says it cannot read from certain sectors of the disk.

When I go back to WinXP, I can only access the *.gho files using an ISO extracting program and ONLY after the following things happen:

Every time the drive freezes, and the warning of "Retry, Abort or Cancel" appears, I take out the disk from the DVD drive, wait a few seconds and insert it once more.

Then I press "Retry" until the DVD drive picks up and continues to read the file.

This happens several times during a read of 1.4 GB...but it always finishes reading the file and copying to another drive so I can access the information.

My question then is this: Could the malfunction of the DVD RW drive be cause by heat in the PC?

Any suggestions or ideas are welcome, of course.

Thanks...

Peter

Yes, DVD drives are quirky when things get hot. If the drive is positioned vertically then it is even worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back