Strange COD2 with high FPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

james_k1988

Hey there,

Right Ill explain the problem as best i can. Ive been happily playing Call Of Duty 2 these past few days and for a while i had no problems. But since yesterday it has been acting vey strange. Now before i go on let me say my specs are in my sig, The graphics are on very high (as it always has been with no probs) and i always maintain a FPS above 70.

This all started yesterday. First off i noticed teamspeak got Extremly laggy when i was playing COD2. And in Cod2, for some reason the controls (mainly mouse) will randomly "stick". To define, when i move the mouse left sometimes it will stick when it moves a small bit and most of the time when i move the mouse it wont go at all unless i keep moving mouse and becuase of this "sticking" it makes the game hard to play.Im always fighting to get the character to move. Now before you say this is not a mouse fault, Works fine on every other game. To test i put my graphics as low as they would go to see if it helped, and it did. The game ran fine with no problems, mouse didnt stick at all.

Now this baffles me because when i put graphics back up my FPS is gr8 (games runs smooth) and my ping is always around 50. I messed around with some of the commands like CL_maxpackets 60, snaps, rate, but didnt help

(Below is other stuff i done or happened that may be important)

This came on suddenly and theres only 1 thing ive changed on my PC lately, which i dont think is the problem becuase the game was fine for a while after i had done this. And that is i put the Paging file (for virtual memory) on another hard drive to increase performance. And on the same night this all started i was getting weird probelms with my sound, i would leave the game and close teamspeak and then my sound would cut off. When i tried to view its options in control panel is said a message like "Directsound not avalible". A restart fixed this though. It happened a few times that day but has not happened since, dunno if thats anything to with with my problem but thought it best to mention.

I have a hunch its something to do with internet connection side of things but im probably wrong. Please let me know if you know the solution to this, thank you

TeamSpeak takes up alot of CPU usage that's why I use vent ( that's why teamspeak is free ;) )

If you really want to have less lag for the game do this:

go to Ctrl + alt + delete and delete all the useless stuff like MSN, AIM, Itunes or anything you dont need while running games, Also dont delete anything under System, Local Service, Network or Taskmgr.exe / Explorer.exe

If that doesnt help, go to this website:

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest

See if your computer gets recommended in the game,

If you get a minimum pass then upgrade your system to the stuff it needs ( videocard, RAM or something else like that )

If you fail do the same for the minimum pass results

Hope I helped :)

Thanks for the reply m8.

But the thing is the game was running pefect for ages. Even with TS running and grafix max. Was great. Was only since 2 days ago that this has started to happen, so i dont think its anything to do with computer not being powerful enough. And i do close all the processes i dont need, but that didnt help :(

I really wish i could show you guys somehow becasue its hard to explain. Might whip out the old video camera lol

Any other ideas?

Perhaps you are starting to overheat for some reason. Have you been able to check your CPU and GPU temperatures?

Are ur Hard drive(s) Sata or Pata? U mentioned that u moved ur pagefile to a seperate drive, therefore IF ur running Pata on the same channel (IDE) u will most definately have severe slow down

Pata being Pararell? (cant spell it) as in the 40pin bigass connectors? If so then yea thats what i got. The way its set up is

Primary master: 160gb HDD (Main)
Primary Slave: 80gb HDD (This is where i moved the paging file to)
Secondary Master: DVDROM
Secondary Slave CDROM

I was told (By my lectuere) that if you move the paging file, it saves the reader head inside the disc from going all over to sort virtual memory and other files. If ive done it wrong let me kno, as i said ive just learned so i dont know about any issue

Cheers

Sorry for leaving this, has a few life problems but that aside, im back to this. Right its not the paging file casue i moved it back and still zip. I tried putting the grafix on cod2 way down (including putting it on dx7) and it seems to run for a while longer than it did before, but then after a while BANG the lag and stuttering hits. Teamspeak lag seems to stop if i stare at a wall or something without detail, and the game lag itself seems to have simmered down (only a bit) since i put teh grafix down, but once i start moving around its still the same as before.

This still baffles me because it happened just like that, one night it was perfect and the next it just came on.Its almost as if the RAM isnt clearing or something strange like that. Ive watched my temperatures and they seem ok, gfx card when cod2 is on goes at around 70C and im not positive on the CPU anymore. I have downloaded a few tools and some say for example

CPU0 - 39
Core#0 - 47

I thought when it came to temperature diagnostics these would be the same thing, but i shall keep an eye on both next time cod2 is on and see where it goes. Ill post results when i get them but until then, ne thoughts?

I also just tried out a few Memory tools, and when i play with COD2 the usage goes right up and im left with apx 178mb of ram left (out of 1024mb) and the paging files uilisation is at around 768mb (out of 2g). Incase thats relevent. Incase ive downloaded something and ram is getting to full now, i can get anotehr stick quite easily so let me know if you guys think thats not enough headroom

thanks

Did you try Memtest? Download that and see if you get errors, It takes about 3-4 hours depending on how many sticks you have so watch a movie or something till it's done ;)

THe only problem with that is i dont have a floppy drive, and if memory serve's you need one to use memtest, but i think i could run it from cdrom or mybye even USB so ill give that a shot.

It wouldnt surprise me if it was the memory because the one that came with it (dual channel pack) packed in not to long after i got it. ANd it would explain some of the strange things my pc likes to do :haha:

Thanx m8, ill give that a shot and let ya know!

Yes, Tell us if Memtest works... If not try switching around the RAM or take some out

After doing this and trying the game, If it doesnt work then take out all the RAM then get some Compressed air ( sold at any computer store or even general stores could have them ) then spray out all the slots and all of the fans to clear out all dust build up :)

Also is it only COD2 that has these problems? Can you play like Half-life 2 or something

Only COD2 (so far) that seems to have this problem. On Single player its fine, its just when i got on Multiplayer and Teamspeak the lag hits. It isnt instant, just kicks in after a short while. COD2 seems to be fine without Teamspeak running though. But it used to be perfect with TS running, just all of a sudden this started to happen :(

I done memtest, got to about 80% with still no errors, so i canceled it (because i needed comp at the time and havnt had a chance to do it again since, i assume its ok). Let me know if u recommend i do it again and leave it all the way through.

Was thinking as well, there isnt a chance it could be a bandwidth problem is it? im using onboard LAN atm but im sure i have a network card lying around somewhere (if there any faster). Just thought id mention just incase.

Righto i hunted out a 512mb stick of ram and fired that in, still the same. Ive scanned like mad with spybot, adaware, avg, gave it a go with the hijackthis etc. so its clean. The only thing im looking at now is a bandwidth issue. Now lately my ISP have been very slow, been getting alot of packet loss but this has only happened in the last week when the game started this quite a while ago. (also i know its on their side becuase alot of people in my area are gtting the same problem, its NTL:telewest btw)

But regardless heres another question, whats better, onboard ethernet? or a ethernet card?

After reading up on that new Killer NIC card, it basically runs itself allowing the cpu to do other things, got me thinking that if u had a NIC (even a crappy one) it would at least help out. Not sure on this theroy but thats why im asking! :)

hey hey im back lol RIght slight update, it seems COunter Strike source is doing the same thing, although the game runs fine but ts is laggy.And sometimes (cod2 does this sometimes to) the game crashes, itll freeze and then go a black screen, and i hear my graphics card fan restarting. Also the sound freezes on whatever its on, and the clock on my keyboard freezes as well so its the full pc thats frooze. I now have 2g of ram and aint got a scooby what could be causeing this because like cod2, TS was running fine when i played css before

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back