Strange file system BUG (NTFS>FAT16) Loss of data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sl4p

Hello everyone,

I have an IDE storage disk (300GB) that i formatted in NTFS a while ago wich runs perfectly.
But today occured a strange error, i'll try to describe it thoroughly:
I was booting my computer and for some reason, the computer didn't found the master SATA disk(probably a little mess in the bios), so it tried to boot from the storage disk, wich of course has no OS on it, but instead of telling me the useual "no system disk found insert system disk...", it said "ntldr is missing" .
At that point i didn't noticed my primary disk was not detected by the bios and i simply tought ntldr was corrupt, so i did a FIXBOOT command wich went trough (don't ask me how).Then it said the disk was in fat16 at the end of fixboot, wich finally triggered my attention and i checked the bios and saw that i was working on the storage drive...i know i wasn't especially smart on this one...

So i fixed the bios problem and booted on the master sata disk without any problem...but now my ide storage drive is 10mb wide, empty and in FAT16 file system.
ITwas nearly full of data , some very valuable , and now it's messed up, i tried a convert , but it wouldn't work.

Is there a way to fix this and repair the FS ?
The data are still intact, i checked with a recovery software, but i don't have enough space on my other disks to recover all of it :(

Thanks for your help guys, sorry for my messy explanation and my bad english :p

I could, but 270GB is a lot of DVD's :p

I feel like something could be done , the data are still there, i can see them with a disk analyser software.

If i don't find a solution, i'll try to borrow an external drive from a friend and copy the recovery there and then copy it back to the disk but , i'll be glad if something else could be done.

Thanks anyway mate :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back