Strange mobo(I belive) problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sephyvaline

Okay, i was working on my wife's computer, putting in a new optical drive. I take out the old one, get the new one in there, plug in everything properly. When i go to boot it, it boots fine, but nothing coming through to the monitor. We can hear it booting normally, and even setting there on the screen as windows loading(the hard drive spinning for a bit a second time). I tried a known working video card, and a known working monitor with the video card in the old computer. Anyone have any ideas? thanks in advance for any input.

Havn't put the new one in yet, was test-booting inbetween. I've tried putting the orriginal back in, for testing's sake, and same problem. I've reseated the video card ten times.

Recheck ALL the connections inside. While installing the new drive, one or more of the other connections (data or power) may have come loose without you noticing. Of course, if you had noticed, you wouldn't be here now. :)

BIOS reset? Don't play too much with the video slots, it might stop working correctly.
Often, having the ATX connector a bit out of the slot can cause problems.

Okay, double and triple checked all the connections. Tried booting with everything but the hard drive disconnected, and still the same results. Any other possible troubleshooting solutions, or is it time to give in and take it to the shop?

Don't take this the wrong way but when you connected/disconnected items, did you shut down the power supply first?

Have you tried to remove the battery and re-install it with the PSU unplugged?

Have you tried it with the older drive? If it works, disable it in the BIOS before putting the new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back