Strange Modem String

Status
Not open for further replies.

seeker1

I have a external Modem Blaster DE5621 which generally works just fine, but this string keeps appearing on it's own: AT+IBC=1,0,1,,,,,1;+VCID=1;+PCW=0;+PMH=0. As long as it remain this way, or I clear the string altogether, no problem. But, on occassion the string repeats itself and when I try to access the internet, my system crashes with a blue screen which says that it is due to a bad_caller_pool. Again, clearing the string solves the problem, but I'm very curious where this is coming from, and if anyone knows it's meaning?

Some program is putting in that init string. Do you have some special dialup software installed?

Yes, but the problem started before I installed them, so I don't think that they could be the source. I thought it could be some kind of trojan, but I have run several of the programs that I have to detect these, and found nothing. Do you think that it is possible that it is coming from the modem's driver or software? I know that when I first installed the modem the string wasn't there. Even now, when I remove it, it doesn't reappear too quickly.

It is a real init string. A trojan would gain nothing from it. Maybe you have installed the wrong drivers for your modem or set the modem type wrong somewhere so it tries to apply this incorrect init string?

You can install some registry monitoring software like Teatimer that comes with Spybot S&D. It will tell you exactly when a registry setting is modified and you can track down the culprit.

Thanks, I'll try that. I don't think that I could have an incorrect driver, because it is the one which came on the CD with the modem. But, who knows, Creative is far from perfect.

I haven't noticed any difference in performance with or without it, when with a single entry. Do you have any idea of the function of this particular string?

Really! Well that rules out that possibility...unless it's coming from one of the software programs which came with it. Did you install Super Voice and Netwaiting?

I didn't see your link before my last post, but I looked over the list of commands and saw none that matched. Upon reflection, I looked over the components of the string and get the impression that they probably relate to telephone functions, i.e. call waiting, caller ID, modem on hold, etc. If this is true, then the string must come from Netwaiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back