Strange motherboard happenings, is it fried? anyone got any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mates PC is acting up.

One night he went out and left it copying a DVD (naughty I know), when he got home the PC had crashed and came up with the usual, "windows did not shut down properly" screen. So he chose to "start windows normally" and it looked like it was working but when it was on the windows logo screen it just reset. So he tried "start windows in safe mode" it started booting up again, got to the windows logo screen and reset itself... you see the pattern.

I thought maybe when it crashed it had kanckered the ntfs.sys file or some other important file so we decided to re-install windows. When i tried to re-install windows it let me format the hard drive as NTFS, I at there for half an hour while it formatted and then it came up with an error saying drive could not be formatted, drive C: is corrupt. So my mate went out and bought a brand new hard drive and tried to set up windows on that and the same thing happened again.

Now I know neither hard drive is corrupt because I put them both in my PC and I can install windows on them no problem at all but when i put the HD back in his PC it gets to the windows logo screen and then reboots and reboots and reboots....

Now I reckon there might have been a power surge/spike, whatever, and it's fried his motherboard, or at least the IDE controllers, although I can boot off CD, but not off floppy, if I try boot off floppy it says its not a boot disk but I know its a boot disk because i tested it on my machine first and it boots.

The motherboard is an Asus A7V400-MX, prcessior is an AMD2200 or 3200, it's got 512MB of RAM and now it has 2 120GB hard drives that it reckons are knackered.

Anyone got any idea what it might be or am I right is the motherboard/IDE controller fried, Ic an't find anyone else thats ever had a problem like this and I've never seen anything like it.

I've tried everything I can think of to fix this, if anyone has any insight into the problem it would be most helpful.

Cheers.

John

disconnect all drives/cards except the hard drive and a known good drive to boot from. then try booting. if it fails to find even one drive in the bios or something then you should suspect the system board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back