Strange partion problem need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strange partition problem need help!

The problem is kinda hard to to explane as my enlish is not the best. Basicly i have 2 OS one WinXP fat32 and one Linux + plus another fat16 partion. The problem started when i instaled Linux and windows said autochk program not found and rebooted all the time.

Now that was fixed with ptedit by setting the first and second head values of the linux and linux swap to 15. Windows start now but Linux dont work, I could change it back but then windows wont work.

I could do a re-install of Linux but that wouldent fix the problem as partionmagic finds the harddisk as a bad drive, I can se all the partions in windows disc manager if thats any help.

Anybody know ? Bare i mind that im not that good on partion values and what they stand for.

Thank You.

giovani_78 said:
The problem is kinda hard to to explane as my enlish is not the best. Basicly i have 2 OS one WinXP fat32 and one Linux + plus another fat16 partion. The problem started when i instaled Linux and windows said autochk program not found and rebooted all the time.
... I can se all the partions in windows disc manager if thats any help.

Thank You.

get a copy of PartitionMagic (PM), boot from the CD
you need a new Master Loader which will give you a choice of booting
Windows OR Linux.

1) PM can fix almost any kind of partition, so let it analyze each of them
2) Install the Boot loader, like LILO or GRUB and have it boot Windows as a default.

THEN reinstall Linux, which will update the Boot Loader to add the option of starting it :)

Jeff

jobeard ... I have powerquest partitionmagic 8 but I dont see any bootcd option ? Im guessing your talking about a boot version of pm right ? does it have another name or is it just boot enabled ?

Btw .. thanks for replaying so fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back