Strange problem with Radeon 9000 pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I posted this same question last week in the motherboard forum...but now it appears that it isn't a problem with my mobo:

I'm using the Abit NF7-S v2.0 mobo and a Sapphire Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB video card. When using this combination, I either get the no video beep code...or nothing (everything powers up, but no boot).

I thought that I may have a bad agp slot because I was able to boot fine with a pci card. Then I borrowed my friends nVidia FX 5200 128 (agp)...and it worked fine! So, it doesn't appear to be a bad motherboard afterall.

I've messed with all the relevant agp settings in bios (agp speed, fast write, aperture size, vga init, agp voltage). I've disable all other hardware in bios. I've unplugged everything from the PSU to make sure it was getting enough power. I've pulled everything except cpu, memory, and video card. Still, no luck.

I would rather not have to buy a new video card...so any suggestions are welcome.

System:

Abit NF7-S v2.0 (with newest bios)
Sapphire Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB
AMD XP2100+
512MB DDR2700
400W PSU

Thanks!
-Aflyctus

So the Radeon works fine in other systems, and other video cards work in your system....but with the Radeon it won't even boot...wierd....

I think it's time to change religions, and pray alot harder and more often!

I have no idea

:(

Hopefully it's just a software configuration error....perhaps re-setting C-mos, or cleaning up the current O/S might help....but not even able to boot...I don't think that's a driver error......can you even get into your BIOS???

I don't get any video output...so no, I can't even get into bios (unless I switch video cards).

If I put both the PCI card and Radeon in at the same time...the behavior is similar (usually won't boot). However, sometimes I will get video output from the PCI card...but the computer always locks up before WinXP loads.

Well we can assume your AGP slot isnt bad, because another AGP card works in there.

However, it could be a few things.

one being that your BIOS isnt compatable with a radeon(no way...)

Ok, so lets move on.

Use a PCI card and get to your BIOS. Im assuming you have a nice bios chip with most setting custumizable.

Check what voltage the AGP slot is running at.

I have heard if its too high (or low) that the computer wont load any video..whether that is truw or not, i wont know til i see it for myself.

Another thing. Make sure the card is being pushed all the way down, the card model make and your AGP slot might be sized a tad different and might not be touching properly.

Is that 512 RAM 1 or 2 chips?

If its 2, try only using 1 , and try all differnt sorts of combinations. Worth a shot.

a last hope will be to use the CMOS clear jumper.

There might be just one setting that your card DOESNT like that is causing this to happen.

Clear that, and then try.

Or with the PCI card loads Fail-Safe Defaults. Might work too. itll save you from messing with the board and looking for that lil jumper.

Just make sure when touching your computer use a STATIC BRACLET, last thing you want is a shorted out computer :)

Good luck!

Is the card sitting correctly in the AGP slot? Was it a tight fit? Try loosening your mainboard mounting screws, then fitting the card, and finally tightening those mounting screws again. Also, you said your card worked in another computer. Were you using the same video out connector on your card at the time? You should have both analogue and digital outputs. Did you use the same output on each test system?

radeon 9000 pro problems (pci)

I have similar problems with my Radeon 9000pro PCI card...
when I reboot (cold or warm) i need to wait for 5 minutes before rebooting otherwise i get the "NO VIDEO DEVICE" warning beeps from the motherboard.

This has been happening since my previous board, but currently running on an ASUS P4 XP-X mobo.

Yes I have the latest drivers, card is clean, seated properly and all that good gear.

Would it be that I need a new heatsink on the vid card?
I know u can change AGP frequencies, but this is PCI.... is it possible to change them and is this a possibility?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back