Strange red dot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drenholm

Recently I have noticed a tiny red dot on my desktop.. the size of a single pixel. It isn't my monitor beacause it's not always there and it can be screen shotted!

It also causes other weird stuff to happen... take a look!

Here's the dot as appears normally just near my taskbar:
red%20dot%20normal.jpg

Here's the same pic enlarged a lot:
zoomed.jpg

As you can see it's literally a pixel of the image, not on my monitor. And yes, I've tried changing the background image..
Another point to note is that it only seems to appear when my screen's running in it's native resolution of 1440x900.

Here's the dot through the windows magnifier (which I did out of curiosity):
magnified.jpg

The first time this appeared I seemed to be able to "draw" onto black surfaces (i.e., where there's no red) by dragging a window with black over (or under) the dot, but since then I've tried some new drivers and this no longer happens (unfortunately I hadn't screen shotted this effect, but the following pics will give you the gist of it). At first I thought the new drivers had fixed it, but it eventually showed up again.

Now when something moves over the dot it disappears, but then reappears a few seconds later. If I leave the black window where the dot appears then wait till it does then move the window, the dot will stay in the same place in the window... if that makes sense.! Well, just take a look:
4%20dots%20on%20black.jpg

Just imagine this but with a LOT more dots for the effect I described earlier.

I have recently been doing some overclocking with my GFX card, which is an nVidia 7900GT (see profile for rest of specs) not sure if this is the cause, since it still does it when it's running at stock speeds, and it may have been there before i tried OCing.. can't remember!

It's not a massive problem as such, but I do worry that it might develop into something far worse, like I've had before (check out this thread or this thread if you wish, or are bored.. I've had bad problems with GFX cards :( )

Well I hope someone out there can shed some light on this! this site's great and has helped me loads in the past.. keep up the good work, everyone!

Could be artifacting, run a game and if it screws up bad throttle off the OC until it goes away.

games run perfectly fine. Was constantly testing with 3DMark 06 when OCing. Nothing appears out of the ordinary.
Update: Just tested it with Oblivion.. runs fantastically!

You might try driver cleaner pro and remove drivers, Then install latest official drivers, Also make sure to have latest mobo drivers and dx9 , gl

what security measures are you using
{Router, AV, firewall (which one)}
and when did you last access MS Update?

tweakboy said:
You might try driver cleaner pro and remove drivers, Then install latest official drivers, Also make sure to have latest mobo drivers and dx9 , gl

Well when I noticed it I was using the latest official drivers, however I haven't checked my mobo drivers, so I'll give that a shot, ta!

jobeard said:
what security measures are you using
{Router, AV, firewall (which one)}
and when did you last access MS Update?

I'm using the AVG anti virus, but the connection I'm on is the service provided by U-Want, which is all there is available (unfortunately, since it's a terrible deal!) in the flats I live in (while I'm at Uni) and, as far as I know, the connection is firewalled in some way.

Also, to update, I can draw lines with the dot again.. look!
dot%20line.jpg

ARG!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back