Strange, strange problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

twite

I am running short on time, so i must describe this breifly.

I am fixing my friends computer, the mobo died, he got " the red light".

I replaced his mobo, and now everything powers up, but the computer doesn't post, there is no video what so ever.

I have tried swapping every componet from my working computer.
-the cpu
psu
Gpu
Ram
HDD

I have tried taking out the cmos battery and putting it back in.

I would try clearing the cmos jumper, but for some reason this new board does not have one.

Now, another strange problem. The board starts, for about 2 seconds, stops, and restarts itself. I have checked the LEDs multiple times. I have tried reseting the graphics card, and the cpu, and the ram, and have tried the ram in different slots

I am now clueless. Would love help. Thanks

Ok, i get a new mobo, lay everything out, start it, it works.

I put everything in the case, start, and same problem. No post. Everything spins full load..and thats it. The computer will not post. And there is no signal from the monitor.

The motherboard must be shorting to the case. There may be a standoff in the wrong place or missing, allowing the motherboard to short to the case

Actually the problem was alot different then what anyone would expect.

What was happening was i was tightening the HSF down to tight, and therefor it pushed the cpu bracket down on the cpu harder, sliding it slightly out of place of the pins.

I loosened the HSF, and now everything is up and running.

So far, i have spent about $300 fixing this problem. I returned his first motherboard, but due to "physical damage" DFI refused to return it. The second motherboard cost me $150 as well, and i returned it for a replacement at no extra cost.

Well, after 15 hours of backhurting, mind numbing computer work, this is finally fixed. Ugh..

I always install the HSF on the motherboard outside the case. I also install the memory outside the case

I did install the HSF outside of the case..that is the only possible way to do it. It, is a thermal take big typhoon, it has back mounting brackets that you have to install. I also do install the memory outside of the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back