Stubborn refusal to burn + related question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reachable

Here's the outline: (to the best of my memory)

1) CD burner was working fine, but suddenly stopped being able to burn, yet could still play data and music CDs.

2) Assumed it was a software problem, so tried several different burning programs. None of them helped.

3) Assumed it was a hardware problem and got a new CD burner. Still would not burn.

4) Assumed it was the OS (Windows Me), a good assumption as it had become impossible to even run any of the burning programs.

5) Finally gave in and got Windows XP -- a clean install on a new hard drive. Still cannot burn using a couple of different programs. Error message is "communications failure." Drive plays data and music CDs fine.

Remember please that the CD burner is new. Is the problem something dumb like the little cable that goes from the back of the optical drive to the sound card/integrated audio on mobo? Is that cable even necessary? At one time I had two optical drives installed and they both played CDs fine, even when only one had that cable to the motherboard. In fact, I once had a sound card installed because of defective integrated audio, and both drives played CDs fine (IIRC) even though I'd neglected to unplug that little cable from the mobo and plug it into the card. In other words -- can't an optical drive get all the communication it needs using just the IDE?

Sincere thanks for your attention and replies.

Audio Out........

If you're getting sound from the drive with an audio CD playing it's probably not the "little wire". If I had to guess, (which I am), I'd say there is a hardware problem with the IDE controller. Did you set the jumpers on the new drive? did you try another ribbon cable? Wait for a second opinion.

1. Shut the system down
2. Uplug the power
3. Open the Case
4. Move the jumper from Master to Slave if it's Slave already move it to Master
5. Change the Ribbon connection to the next
6. Make sure you're using EIDE2 port not EIDE1 and don't share it with the main HDD.

If you had Windows ME then you might have an older system that can't handle the newer drive. Is this a new drive? Is this and old drive? If it's an old drive then replace it with a new one. If this is a new drive then do make the changes I had layout in the steps above.

Also if this is a new drive what's the requirements for it. Does your system meet the requirements for it. Which software are you using to burn. Or you use the Roxi program or Nero? Did you update the software lately to correct any bugs in the software if any?

Thanks, both of you guys. When next I set about to fix things, I'll keep your suggestions in mind. Then I'll report back on the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back