Stuck at safe mode error screen, can't boot up Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

destructive456

Hello.

Here's the deal. I had a safe mode error problem previously so I tried making attempts to fix the problem. But unfortunately, I messed up by using msconfig to set it to launch /SAFEMODE. Now, the computer is permanently trapped at the error screen and can't even launch normally.

Here is a screenshot of the error.

http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/8812/img0810gd4.jpg

Selecting any of the below options will result back that same error message. So now I can't even launch Windows normally.

What should I do? How can I fix back this problem? Thanks in advance for any responses that may help.

EDIT: oops, wrong link. Correct one now.

Thank you.

I just did the repair. However, I encountered more problems.

By doing so, I don't have the safe mode error screen now. However, after it restarted, it still is forced to warp to Safe Mode and pops up an error message

Windows setup cannot be completed in safe mode. Setup will now restart.

Now, after restarting, it will lead to the Windows XP blue setup screen but the message that said after popping up was:

Setup is restarting now...

And after a couple of seconds, it will redirect back to Safe Mode and which it will show up the error message that is said above. This keeps going on as a cycle and I still even can't get back to the desktop.

Am I doing something wrong here?

No, I don`t think you`re doing anything wrong.

The trouble with using the msconfig safeboot option, is exactly as you`ve found out. If there`s a problem with safe mode, you end up stuck in a never ending cycle.

I think your best option would be to remove your hard drive and put it in another computer as a slave drive. Then, get your important data off of it and replace the drive in your computer.

Then boot from your windows cd, reformat and reinstall from scratch.

Regards Howard :(

Ok then...but I want to make sure I don't have any other options left before I reformat everything. Also, mind if you post or link step-by-step instructions on reformatting? I just don't want to screw up somewhere and making it worse.

You need to do the following.

Diconnect from the net and don`t reconnect, until you have your firewall software installed.

1 Restart your computer and go to setup usually by pressing the F2 or delete key.

2 Once you get into setup look for the boot menu and make sure you set it to boot from cd first followed by your hard drive.

3 Put the Windows xp disk into your cd drive.

4 Now save your settings and exit setup.

5 While your computer is booting you will see a message that says "press any key to boot from cd" press any key.

6 When the welcome to setup screen appears press enter and then press F8 to accept the Microsoft licence agreement.

7 You will be prompted to repair an installation press the escape key.

8 Now select the partition that you want to reformat and press the D key to delete it you will be asked to confirm that you want to delete the partition.

9 Now press C to create a brand new partition you will be asked what size you want the partition to be in mega bytes. If you just press enter then the partition will be the maximum size that you can have. This is perfectly ok if you don`t want to create multiple partitions.

10 You will now be asked to format the partition select the ntfs file sytem and do a full format.

11 Once the format is complete setup will continue.

Your computer will restart during the remaining setup again you will be asked to press any key to boot from cd DO NOT PRESS ANYTHING and setup will continue. Once the setup is complete and you are back in Windows remove the Windows cd from your cd drive.

Install your firewall software and reconnect to the net. Install whatever drivers you need, then run Windows updates.

Finally, install whatever programmes/software you want.

Regards Howard :)

Take out your hard drive and set the jumper on the rear to the slave position. There will be a diagram on your hdd that shows you how to do this. Then place the hdd in another system, connected to the same ide as the master hdd.

You should now be able to see your important data and burn it to some kind of media. Once done, take out your hdd, reset the jumper to master and replace it in your system.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back