stuck at win2000 logo after instal AGP driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
New to the forums here but looks good.

I've been running my PC fine for a year now. It's win2000, latest patches. Tonight I loaded a game for my nephew, when it started it said my video was in PCI mode. So I proceeded to grab my asus P4S533 CDR and ran the AGP install program for the SiS645DX AGP driver latest version on CD. Everything looked find and I needed to reboot.

Now, it boots fine until I get to win logo screen then it stops 1/4 of the way and the graphics stop moving. I can't figure out how to back out of this and have tried the following:

- updating BIOS to 1010 (no go)
- trying all of the boot options F8 (no go)

Is there a way to back out of this disaster ? I know, if it ain't broke, don't fix it sadly I tried to fix it...bleh.

Any suggestions ?
thanks

Boot from your Windows 2000 XD and perform a sysetm repair or reinstall Windows 2000 by doing what is called an "in place upgrade". This has been discussed many times on the board, so you should be abler to find instructions on how to do it.

Well, it appears I was able to go into BIOS and change AGP speed from 4x to 1x and got into windows. Reinstalled the AGP driver with latest to be safe. trying higher speeds now but looks like that was the issue.

Glad to hear it.

I've had only one instance where AGP X speed has caused Windows to be unbootable / unusable. But it does happen. I wonder how it got changed?

Hi Rick,
First, thanks for the assistance (almost forgot!).

I think it was set to 4x and when I upgraded the SiS drivers via the Asus CD that must have been when the conflict started. I did notice that once I set it to 1x I was able to get in and download the latest SiS 645DX drivers from the Asus site.

Now I can run at 2x in BIOS but at 4x I get bad video almost like if you were to set your resolutino higher than your monitor can handle. I have a GF4 Ti4600 video card which is definitely a 4x AGP card. Any suggestions for that ?

thanks!
Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back