Stuck at Windows XP logo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnboy

Can anybody help? Running Windows XP Home Edition on laptop. Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600. When I power up the software stops at the Window XP logo with the blue activity strip. Does not progress.
I've tried restoring back to a previously working point, but no joy. Have set to safe mode and run virus scan and disk defragment, still no advance.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Johnboy

So you can boot to safe mode, but not into 'normal' Windows?

If thats the case, it's probably some drivers causing this...
Try uninstalling chipset drivers, graphics drivers, sound card drivers, etc. then try to boot into 'normal' Windows.

corrupt drivers or a piece of hardware that has become defective. have unstalled or uninstalled any software or hardware before this happened?

iss said:
corrupt drivers or a piece of hardware that has become defective. have unstalled or uninstalled any software or hardware before this happened?

Have not unstalled any hardware, but have uninstalled software package. Did recently install "TUNEUP UTILITIES 2006" also.

I tried "chkdsk /f" in DOS mode [saw comments in TechSpot forum] and it appears to have fixed problem for now. Computer takes 1Min 30Sec to boot to Desk Top.

Thanks for help.

Best wishes New Year

Arcanum said:
So you can boot to safe mode, but not into 'normal' Windows?

If thats the case, it's probably some drivers causing this...
Try uninstalling chipset drivers, graphics drivers, sound card drivers, etc. then try to boot into 'normal' Windows.

Computer seems Ok now, see comments to ISS this morning.

If problem occures again how would I unistall these drivers as a test?

Thanks for help.

Best wishes for New Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back