Subzero4g (amd k7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyH

Received my subzero4g (amd k7) yesterday and installed it today. I have an XP 2000+ ( palomino core). While the fan is not as quiet as i expected it is still quieter than my old fan. What concerns me are the temperatures. I am getting 48 deg C in silent mode during idle (according to Motherboard Monitor). In power mode I get about 43. However according to Motherboard Monitor the fan speed in both cases is about 4623 RPM. Shouldn't the fan speed be slower in silent mode? How can fan speed be the same in both modes?

Those temperatures are actually pretty good temperatures.

I wouldn't really worry unless you start getting over 60'C. Even 60'C isn't bad but normally you should never get above 60'C. I believe around 90'C is the "die" temperature for Athlon's.

As far as your fan. Is the fan "silent" in silent mode? It may be possible that Motherboard Monitor is reporting the speeds wrong. The first clue would be that you can physically see the fan spinning slower or not being as loud.

Whats really strange is that when power mode is turned on, the fan does get louder though not much louder and I wouldn't call "silent" mode silent. I checked in the bios and the fan speeds agree with Motherboard Monitor.

I have an AMD barton 2500 Zalman 120 Slient Cooler
and SubZero4G. MSI KT4V-L board
I have theory for same question. I guess the motherboard cant read the rpm correctly from Fan because SZ4G divides the voltage as 4V 6V and 12 V. it reads always it peak speed I guess its an estimation from voltage cause it cant be possible our rpm is same. Mine is 4623 too.

My question to you is , did you checked the 6600 rpm fan.What is the results of that one.

Uh, I get alot better temps with air cooling (but I have a P4, but it's even overclocked and voltmodded). For peltier cooling, those temps suck. Whew, I almost bought one of those too.

And, for the fans reading the same RPM in both modes, it's probably that in Power mode the peltier unit gets more juice pumped to it (from the power adapter out of your PCI slot) and under Silent mode it doesn't get as much. The fan speed stays the same, I'm guessing. Or wait, did you hook up your fan to your motherboard? I don't think MBM would be able to detect the fan speed if the fan were plugged into something else, like the PCI card maybe? I think the PCI card is actually what would provide more power to the fan during Power mode. The fan stays the same noise-wise between modes right? It would make sense if the fan spun faster (and thus create more noise) in power mode over silent mode, for just the name.

Originally posted by TonyH
Whats really strange is that when power mode is turned on, the fan does get louder though not much louder and I wouldn't call "silent" mode silent.
Heh, that's just marketing terms. If you really want silence, then get a heatpipe cooler or other device that doesn't have moving mechanisms. Just don't panic when the temperatures go to 70C.

Silent, adj.

Marked by absence of noise or sound; still

About the question of the constant RPM of the cpu fan, the number that you can see in the motherboard monitor or another testing program is a fake number. This is provided bay the processor unit of the subzero to trick the motherboard to not shutdown the system by detecting a slow speed of the cpu fan.

If you want to know what is the true fan speed you have to conect somehow the yellow wire directly from the cpu fan to the motherboard pin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back