Sudden death of power supply???

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have an emachines w047, with xp. i am going to give a series event that i have no idea if they are related or not. first, 2 days ago, my computer lost its network connection while it was in use. after restarting a couple of times, it worked again. the following morning, i lost my network connection again. after some effort, i got it back. then last night, the computer lost the internet connection while i was using it. i tried to restart, and it froze up in the middle of booting up. i kept trying to reboot, and eventually got the BSOD. the error said something about NV_4. (unfortunately, i did not write this one down) i tried to do a system restore, but it froze in the middle of it. when i got up this morning, i tried starting it a few times. sometimes, it would seem to boot up, never with a network connection, then i got the BSOD again. this time, the error was PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. i got this error a couple of times in between it almost booting, then it would not even start. when i turn it on, the fans cut on, and the yellow standby light comes on, but it never goes any further. now, that is where it's at, in a coma, or on its deathbed.
any suggestions on what to do? i have thousands of photos on there that i need to retrieve.

Emachines are notorious!!!! They are cheaply made with the cheapest components!!!! If the psu (power supply unit)has died then it will almost certainly blow the mobo (motherboard) too!!!!

If it is still under warranty then get Emachines to fix it, if not, it's probably gonna cost!!!!

Unfortunately the most common problem with E-machines is their cheep powersupplies die and take the motherboard with them.
As far as geting your data back is concerined you can hook the Hard Drive to another computer as a slave drive and take all the files off. For future reference Always back up your data!
If you want to get the e-machines working again you will almost certainly need a new motherboard and PSU. Whatever you do don't buy them from E-machines, they sell you overpriced low quality junk. Get a motherboard and PSU from a retailer like newegg and get a well known brand. You will also need a new copy of windows as the factory copy as well as the restore discs are tied to the original motherboard and will not work on a new motherboard.

kitty500cat said:
Could it not be a RAM problem? (just a comment by a non-computer scientist)
--kitty500cat
Almost all E-machines problems can be traced back to the motherboard or powersupply due to the incredibly low quality of these components. This seems like an issue with the chipset or other motherboard components anyway.

I have recently tested an emachine psu from a dead pc and its 5 volt standby was 18 volts!!!! Its the psu's that go, they are renowned for it!!!!

You would also need a new windows cd as the emachine will only work with an identical emachine mobo!!!!

a friend suggested changing the battery on the motherboard, which i will try, but if that doesn't work, i have no intention of trying to get it going again. i will take the hard drive out and put it in another computer to get my photos. i know i should have backed up my data, and even had a big stack of blank cd-roms to do it on sitting beside the computer, but i procrastinated. (and i am kicking myself in the ****, since i knew i needed to take care of it)
i bought the computer used from someone, and actually feel fortunate that it lasted me a whole year. i doubt i would ever buy another emachine, new or used.

Changing the battery on the mobo will make absolutely no difference whatsoever!!!!

I will make a nice clear statement!!!!

The power supply is dead!!!!
The motherboard is dead!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back