Sudden Networking Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigredmachine

Yet another networking problem.. Yesterday my desktop in my room, which is connected to a wireless network, was working fine and then last night I noticed that my yahoo weather widget said "no connection". I didnt feel like messing with it because I figured tha all i had to do was unplug the router and plug it back in like usual. Well i did that today and still no network connection. The computer hooked up to the router works fine and so does my laptop which is sitting 5 feet from the problem computer right now. I have tried restarting, system restore, and unplugging/plugging back in the wireless adapter but all that happens is that the "wireless" LED evenly blinks. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks

power off everything.

P-on the modem and let it settle down

P-on the router and let it settle down

Now connect/P-on your computer(s)

get a command prompt and enter ping google.com

should produce results :)

bigredmachine said:
This didnt work. All that happens is that the led blinks at the same rate. no wireless networks are detected either.

Well, if there's no wireless networks being detected, then we can be reasonably certain your router or your wireless card are to blame. The process of elimination would do nicely here, but do you have another wireless card or wireless router you could try?

I might attempt removing and reinstalling your wireless adapter using device manager ( Start > Run > devmgmt.msc )

If you're using the built-in Windows wireless utility, you should check to make sure the service is running (Look for 'Wireless Zero Config' and make sure it is automatic and running) Start > Run > services.msc

If you use a 3rd party wireless utility, then WZC should be disabled (Stop and disable the service). You shoudl try reinstalling whatever utility you use.

And of course, if you have a laptop, there's a hardware switch that can turn your wireless off and on, even though it is turned on through the software. You might want to check this out.

My laptop, which is in the same room, is working fine. I also uninstalled and reinstalled the card on the desktop and still nothing. I will check the software issue soon.

I assume your laptop is connected wirelessly. So we can reasonably assume the router is not to blame. That leaves your wireless card as a likely culprit.

The main problem I see is your wireless cannot pick up a signal. You've forced Windows to redect it by removing it and you've checked the WZC service... that seems to be functioning. You can try updating the firmware for your wireless card and getting the latest drivers (if you haven't already). This is about all you can do, as far as basic troubleshooting goes.

If it is USB, you can cross-check it by installing it on your laptop. Can you see your wireless network using it there? If so, we can assume your card works, but you have some sort of odd software issue on your desktop. If it doesn't work, then we can be pretty certain your card is to blame.

So i left the computer off for a couple days and used my laptop and when i turned it on just now a wireless connection was detected, i connected to it, and now everything is fine. sometimes i wonder about this stuff. Thanks for everyones help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back