Suggestions for mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

cm1286

Building new comp and trying to find the best motherboard for it. I am going with either the e6300 or e6400 and i deffinetly want ddr2 800. My budget for the motherboard is 200. I also want to have sli compatability. Most importantly I want the board to be reliable and expandable any suggestions would be appreciated.

If you want SLi you have two choices now:

ASUS P5NSLI
or for more money
ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe

Very soon nvidia is going to release new chipsets. In about two weeks you will see many better mobos hit the market with official SLi support. Those i975 mobos will not run SLi with out hacked drivers.

I am buying around Mid November think the new mobo will be out by then or should i delay my purchase till they come out

For SLI, keep in mind that there are two nForce chipsets available. The one which provides maximum performance is the nForce 590 SLI since it gives u the full 48 PCi-Express lanes, compared to the nForce 590 SLI's 20 lanes. But there is a substantial price difference so make sure u buy what u can afford.
In contrast, the nForce 590 SLI for AMD mobos also features LinkBoost technology which gives upto a 25% increase in performance when 2 79xx series cards are used. So AMD is also a viable choice, since they may very soon have processors that kick the crap out of the Core 2 Duo i.e. the K8l line of processors.

The new 600 series have all those features and more. As far as Altair (K8-L), it will be out late next year about the time Intel's native quad-core 45nm Yorkfield. That is a battle yet to rage. The 600 series nforce chipsets may support Yorkfield because they have offical 1333MHz FSB rating. Only time will tell for sure but nvidia is shooting for 45nm compatibily with these new chipsets. Maybe thats why they took so long?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back