suggestions for new comp

Status
Not open for further replies.

SornyPanafonic

hey everyone, i wanted a new comp since im going to give the one i have now to my little brother, originally i didnt want to spend more than $1500, but with the stuff im eyeing its about to be $2000 - which is my limit - obviously i am going to build it on my own, but i wanted to see if i can get some pointers on if theres possible conflicts or bottlenecks that will decrease the performance enough to warrant changes.

So far this is my shopping list from Newegg --

- ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - retail
- eVGA 256-P2-N530-AX Geforce 7800GTX 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - retail
- Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6L300S0 300GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM
- NEC Silver IDE DVD Burner Model ND-3540A - OEM
- AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA3800BVBOX - Retail
- CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model TWINX1024-3200XLPT - Retail
- OCZ OCZ520ADJ ATX 520W Power Supply - Retail ** not sure might use one thats coming with this alienware case im thinking of purchasing **
- ViewSonic G90FB Black 19" CRT Monitor D-Sub - Retail

total so far is - $1850

to be honest i really wanted to wait for ATIs R520 cards but i dont think i can wait till then to build this thing and they seem to be taking their sweet time.

Looks like a beautiful system!

The only thing I question is your choice of CPUs. Any particular reason you are going for the dual core? Unless you have some specific programs that you regularly use that will benefit from it, I'd recommend getting a single core. For about the same price you can get the Athlon64 4000+ CPU, and with it's higher clock speeds you will get BETTER performance out of it on most applications (as most do not utilize dual core at this point). You always have the option of upgrading to dual core in a year or so when the need for it catches up.

Food for thought.

Oh, and one other thing to think about. I have the motherboard you are going to buy, and I wish I had gone for the "premium" instead of the "deluxe" for one reason. The chipset fan on the "deluxe" board is a little loud. Most people probably wouldn't complain, as it is not THAT bad, but I am a silence freak. The "premium" board has no chipset fan at all. Sweeeeeet.

ive been reading how the x2 3800 is easily oced to about 2.4 so i figured why not. as for the noise, my current comp can be heard outside my room when the door is closed, its that loud (i have a 80mm tornado for the cpu among other fans and the psu). all for the sake of keeping it cool or at least as cool as i can without getting water cooling.

the thing im concered about most is dropping $550 for the gtx and if i can get the most out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back