Suggestions For The New System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floatcode1

Well, a couple months back I took in some suggestions as to what parts I should add to a computer I'm building. It was a pipedream then, seeing as how money was so short, that I would be scrapping a perfectly fine computer just to get some extra parts for the job. Teenagers and their minimum wage, you see (college comes first).

Well, time changes, and so has my computer situation. I have sitting next to me a computer I recently was lucky enough to have had practically dropped on my lap from an overgenerous family member. I could not be any more grateful for this system (which was quite expensive, from what I read).

The build:

-1.86GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
-250GB SATA II HD
-2GB DDR2 SSDRAM (At 667MHz-- it's 2x 1GB)
-Dual DVD Drives, one a +/-RW (but that's irrelevant to the PC's performance)
-And the video card, which is the least impressive: It's an NVIDIA GEFORCE 7300 LE.

I'm getting some unbelievable performance out of this (stuff doesn't load: it just... appears), and I'd say the rest of the beefy system is really saving the video card's *** from seeming as bad as it really is. My question is this: Any suggestions on a reasonably priced (let's say around the $150 range) video card (PCI-e, of course)? And if you had to rate this system (video card aside), what would you rate it at? Any other suggestions you wanna give?

Thanks all. Just letting you know that sometimes things go my way. Oh, and for a reference of how big the performance difference I'm experiencing from my old computer is, I'm going to throw my old computer's build out at ya:

-512MB RAM
-80GB HDD
-1.8GHZ Pentium 4 Processor
-An integrated video card that attempted--but failed-- at shaders

Yeah. Compare my old computer and my new one, and you'll see where I'm coming from. I still can't get over the shock of such a performance difference. I'm just amazed.

Got Ya

From what it sounds like, you have a HP system of some sort ? The 7300LE kinda gives it away.

My best suggestion to you with your budget of $150 is to get a nVIDA 7600gt or ATI x1650 your frame rates will thank you and so will your over worked CPU.

Personally id suggest spending a little more and getting like a 7900GS or GT

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150208

Its up to you, but remember if you do go the 7900 route you will probably have to upgrade your PSU if you have a OEM Computer such as a HP wich i think is the case.

If I am wrong to any aspect wich i could be I appologise, I have drank 1/2 bottle of Bacardi Gold before this post.....

If I am right and my spelling is berable then I OWN LoL...

Take care

It's actually a Dell XPS, and although I'm not sure of the PSU's capabilities offhand at the moment (I never checked, really, and I'm not by it right now), those systems are sort of meant for the powerful stuff. So, no need to worry, I hope.

LoL

Cant believe my last post hehe...As you can tell I was a little under the influence, when i started the reply noone had responded yet...From what ic it took me a while to finish it hehe. Its funny that Don and I reccomended not the same video card, but the SAME BRAND at almost the same time....Kinda funny lol.

And I think you are you fine with that system and its currant PSU.

Floatcode1 said:
Compare my old computer and my new one, and you'll see where I'm coming from. I still can't get over the shock of such a performance difference. I'm just amazed.
that is indeed a very nice system, especially when it's free ;)

as for the video card, a 7600GT is pretty much the best card you can get for $150, but if you can wait for the rebate, then the card that DonNagual suggested would be a better buy.

JimShady23 said:
If I am right and my spelling is berable then I OWN LoL...
~
Cant believe my last post hehe...As you can tell I was a little under the influence, when i started the reply noone had responded yet...From what ic it took me a while to finish it hehe
LOL... funny thing is that your spelling was better in your "drunk post" then it was in your "sober post" :giddy: :giddy: :giddy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back