Suggestions- free / low cost burning prgm for Vista & XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

phkhgh

Hi, wife got new laptop. Has no DVD burning app except Vista's built in. Very limited.

Have Nero 7 on a desktop, and could switch it to the laptop - then get something else for the desktop (XP). But I use the desktop burner more. So, prefer to find burning prgm *truly* compatible w/ Vista for the laptop.

Doesn't have to be free, but if I'm gonna pay, it's gotta work RIGHT in Vista. Remember, wife has to use it.;)

Also needs to handle large files for DVD - at least 4 GB or more, for backing up HDD image files (split). Windows' burning util will handle just copying a CD & simple jobs.

Most of the free ones have VERY little / poor documentation (or none).
Have tried so far:
ImgBurn - couldn't get it to burn large files;

Infra Recorder - pretty much same

CDBurnerXP 4.0.013 - looks great, decent help files & forum. Lots of crashes, errors running in Vista. Don't know - maybe not ready for prime time in Vista?

Thanks for suggestions. (reminder - wife is not a geek!)

Cucusoft Mpeg/Mov/RMVB/DivX/AVI to DVD/VCD/SVCD Converter - Video Converter (Pro)

I currently have that and i can't complain. It burns all films perfectly excellent buy.

HERES an overview of it.

Regards Jase

Thanks Jase, don't know anything about Cucusoft Video converter.

Does it have much the same function as Nero or Roxio Easy Media Creator do?
More interested in being able to burn large DVD files - 4GB or more (ISO / UDF, etc), or encoding / burning MP3, than converting video.

I think its one of the easiest to use and yes it burns big dvd files. I download alot of dvds and haven't had a problem so far. you import the file you want to burn, then pick the output format NTSC or PAL. And then click convert and burn and it converts and then starts to burn.

Regards Jase

I think he means big DATA files to DVD !!!!

Nero7 Basic {Vista compat} comes with most new Burners, I'm sure you could get a copy somewhere if you ask around, or buy a 2nd burner for your PC - it'd be cheaper than buying Nero outright!

I think he means big DATA files to DVD !!!!

Nero7 Basic {Vista compat} comes with most new Burners, I'm sure you could get a copy somewhere if you ask around, or buy a 2nd burner for your PC - it'd be cheaper than buying Nero outright!

Yes, Jase,
I mean burning large data files to DVD, not video / photos, etc.
As in backed up image files of hard disk / OS.

Yes, Fragrant - well, that's a thought. Already have 2 burners in the desktop & no place for 2nd one in a laptop.

Really, I'd also like to hear from people who've successfully used < any > burning utility in Vista, for something OTHER than just copying a CD. Especially for freeware, but shareware & commercial, too.

thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back