Suggestions on a new GPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first time posting and i was wondering what GPU i should buy. i have a budget of £100-£200 and these are my current specs:

CPU: Intel Pentium 4, 3066 MHz (23 x 133)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8I915PM (2 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio, LAN)
MB Chipset: Intel Grantsdale i915P
RAM: 1024 MB (DDR2-533 DDR2 SDRAM)
PSU: Encer 500w, +12v - 17A, -12v - 0.8A
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 6200 LE (128 MB)
3D Accelerator: nVIDIA NV44

I was thinking of maybe buying this card:
http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=274919&CatId=2696

p.s I play game such as Oblivion and NFS:MW

You'd need the biggest and baddest for Oblivion.

Which means you'd want to spend as close to your 200 pounds as possible. This card would suit you better, or the same card of a different brand. No brand stands out more than others when it comes to performance, so you might want to pit some other criteria to choosing it (price is a good criteria).

However, your CPU might be a bottleneck here for such a high end card.

That card will last you a good while. probably quite a bit longer than the rest of your hardware, since its the high end. I can't believe you've been able to run oblivion on that LE card. with the 8800GTS Oblivion will look WICKED! its awesome, really worth it.

Look into getting an eVGA e-GeForce 7900 GS KO 256MB. They are only about $140. There also great mainstream cards. I play oblivion near high settings with my computer.

Like I said, you'd need the biggest to play Oblivion, although the 7900GS is pretty good value in its price range as well.

I wouldn't go specifically with the eVGA version, beef_jerky4104 has been recommending eVGA products so much on this site I think he's been hired by them :D:D:D

I'd get a stock version of that card and overclock it myself.

But like you mentioned, your budgeet is 200 pounds, and the 8800gts costs just below that, and would be the best card you can afford.

Haha. No CMH I don't work for eVGA. I have however had great experiences with them. Thats why I recommend them so much.

Also I would like to add that eVGA is the #1 selling nVIDIA GPU in the USA. Not to mention there awesome step-up program where you can upgrade you card within 90 days of the original purchase. And an extra you can overclock there cards, and you can change coolers on them without voiding the warranty. All more reasons to go with eVGA.

beef_jerky4104, I happen to agree, I have had atleast the last three cards I have had were eVGA and all three have been good the one I am running now is the eVGA 8800gts with 320 mb it is new but has been a top for performance. In an older system, I still have a 7800gs which has been a good one, and still have a 6800gt, or I think that is what it is by eVGA and it was good until my third computer died.

A practice question for an entry exam into medicine went something like this:

A woman had rashes on both her arms, and wanted to put some cream to help with the itch. She bought 2 different kinds of creams, and applied both on seperate arms. The next day, she noticed that the arm which she applied cream A on itched less than the arm she applied cream B on.

What is the conclusion:
A: Cream B does not reduce the itch.
B: Cream A is effective in reducing itch from rashes.
C: Cream A and B both worsened the itch, but cream B caused it to itch more.

Just a thought for everyone who just uses one brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back