Support civil liberties with this Amazon Dash donation button hack

Jos

Staff

Amazon’s Dash buttons are typically used to order household staples and groceries at the push of a button — installed around the house they offer frictionless consumerism at its finest. But since the company launched a programmable IoT version last year, Dash buttons have the potential to do much more. One enterprising programmer has reimagined it as an easy way to donate to the American Civil Liberties Union.

Nathan Pryor says that the idea came from a friend who wished there was an ACLU Dash button one could push to donate “any time I read about the latest offense from Trump.”

He diligently ordered the customizable IoT Dash button and got to work on the coding. There is no donation API for the ACLU so Pryor had to write his own script, which would invisibly load up the donation page and fill out all his details including a pre-set $5 donation amount.

After testing it a with prepaid gift card so his bank account wasn’t drained if the script got stuck in some kind of infinite donation loop, he was good to go in a few hours.

“The button resides near my laptop now, and every press sends another $5 into the fight. Sure, I could set up a recurring donation every month, but then I’d lose the tactile thrill of the press, and I wouldn’t have learned my way around this technology.”

Pryor has provided a link to download the script on his Medium page for anyone that wants to tinker with it. He does warn, however, that he can’t offer guarantees about suitability or security. “if they change a field name or the way the donation page works, it'll break... Use it at your own risk,” Pryor wrote.

Permalink to story.

The exploits on this one are going to be Legion. Political donations like the ACLU are just the tip of the iceberg. Watch for this being handed out like business cards at rallies and charity functions. Even tech startups. Get some popcorn.

Nathan Pryor says that the idea came from a friend who wished there was an ACLU Dash button one could push to donate &ldquo;any time I read about the latest offense from Trump.&rdquo;</p>

He diligently ordered the customizable IoT Dash button and got to work on the coding. There is no donation API for the ACLU so Pryor had to write his own script, which would invisibly load up the donation page and fill out all his details including a pre-set $5 donation amount.

After testing it a with prepaid gift card so his bank account wasn't drained if the script got stuck in some kind of infinite donation loop, he was good to go in a few hours.</p>

";The button resides near my laptop now, and every press sends another $5 into the fight. Sure, I could set up a recurring donation every month, but then I'd lose the tactile thrill of the press, and I wouldn't have learned my way around this technology....[...]...
This guy needs to take some one dollar bills and head to the strip club. That will give him something of a "tactile thrill" for his money.

Other than that, this is just more of Amazon's bullsh!t home invasion tactics. "Hey, if I have "Alexa", can I just walk over to it and give away my paycheck anytime the mood strikes"?

Hey Jeff, try and guess which finger I'm holding up.. :mad: (y)

The ACLU has done more to repress free speech and civil liberties than just about any other group in the US. If you're donating to them, you're supporting fascism.

Could not have put it any better.

I just don't understand why anyone would want to fund the American Criminal Liberties Union, or Anti Christian Liberties Union. Its both.

ACLU: We support third-trimester dismembership abortions. There's a right for you! I meean...a left.
Shouldn't you be out bombing an abortion clinic instead of wasting time posting here?

I mean really, is that post enough to make you feel better? Because it seems more akin to, "complaining about the weather, but not doing anything about it"... :D

Ha! I KNEW a libtard would bite! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-abortion_violence tells us (read: YOU) that 11 murders have taken place against abortion providers since EVER. And, since 1973, an average of 1.266 million babies are aborted in the US annually. So, which logic of mine did you choose to debate? And, no; I do do stuff about it: I vote. Perhaps you wish you were a premie abortion case?

Ha! I KNEW a libtard would bite! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-abortion_violence tells us (read: YOU) that 11 murders have taken place against abortion providers since EVER. And, since 1973, an average of 1.266 million babies are aborted in the US annually. So, which logic of mine did you choose to debate? And, no; I do do stuff about it: I vote. Perhaps you wish you were a premie abortion case?
I voted too, for Trump no less. Day by day I get the biggest revulsion/ laughs out of the noobs here. Either they're whining about the political discussions, or they're starting them. In fact, you have to put two of them together to make a whole hypocrite...:D

As for the "right to life" loony tunes, who seem to think that every piece of genetic material that every teenage boy leaves on his bed sheet deserves to become a human being, I'd suggest they (you?), STFU and start adopting.

Better still, come to grips with the fact there are 6 billion of us, which is already way too many. It's obvious the entire 3rd world can't keep its zipper up. Show us the way, become a priest and be celibate! :p

7 billion, Dude. So: do you agree with 3rd trimester pull-the-baby-apart abortions? Seems like you do. I call Libtards loony tunes, who feel that the ACLU is ANYTHING about human rights. Ditto Obama, who supports day-after-birth "oopsies", and volunteers them for abortions. Let's face it: If democrats knew babies could vote, they'd be fighting for their rights as well. Until then, it's only "Women's rights". Ha!

7 billion, Dude. So: do you agree with 3rd trimester pull-the-baby-apart abortions? Seems like you do. I call Libtards loony tunes, who feel that the ACLU is ANYTHING about human rights. Ditto Obama, who supports day-after-birth "oopsies", and volunteers them for abortions.
You're really clueless and muddled about what you believe, and completely incompetent about figuring out what I believe.

I'm what used to be called "a moderate". These are rare animals these days.

For example, I certainly don't condone 3rd trimester abortions for any reason, other than to save the mother's life, or if it is a medical certainty the fetus would not survive birth.

However, I think de-funding planned parenthood and / or repealing Roe v. Wade would be an unmitigated disaster.
Let's face it: If democrats knew babies could vote, they'd be fighting for their rights as well. Until then, it's only "Women's rights". Ha!
Well, sometimes the same concepts are given different names for political expedience. Democrats know the more babies they allow to be born in the inner cities, the more voters they will eventually have. It's called "planning for the future". Testimony to this is provided by Obama's 90% plurality among inner city black voters.

If I had my way, I'd pump the inner city water supply full of estrogen and progestin, thereby nipping the problem in the bud.

(Oops, and I just claimed I was a moderate, yet I'm still not ashamed of what I just said)...:confused:

If you don't condone 3rd trimester abortions, then why debate me?

"You're really clueless and muddled about what you believe" -- to which I state; "Don't worry; if you are losing an argument, you can always call a man foul names" -Ben Franklin

I, too, believe in abortion. But at the point of pain, or around 4 weeks (according to science), it is a life. If NASA found live cells in space, it would be life. On Earth, it is life "upon convenience".

I agree that Democrats are good at planning for the future. That is the problem with Repubs staying old school (or, maybe not--since there are 1009 less Dems in power since 2008, nationwide).

BTW your signature implies you enjoy this banter.

"You're really clueless and muddled about what you believe" -- to which I state; "Don't worry; if you are losing an argument, you can always call a man foul names" -Ben Franklin
Someone who calls people "libtards" should be more mindful of Mr. Franklin's wisdom:
I call Libtards loony tunes, who feel that the ACLU is ANYTHING about human rights.
Ha! I KNEW a libtard would bite!

It would seem you're doing all the name calling. Should I report it?

BTW your signature implies you enjoy this banter.
Who, lil' ole me?

Last edited:
What--is it a Franklin/Webster bad word now? While it is a common word, it is not a "bad" word--also, I quite like the sound of it.

What--is it a Franklin/Webster bad word now? While it is a common word, it is not a "bad" word--also, I quite like the sound of it.
Unfortunately, name calling isn't negotiated by degree.

"Libtard" is a contraction of "libertarian and re&ard". As such it does constitute a "bad word", since re$ard is banned on the site, and deleted by the forum software.

I'm sure you're also fond of the sound of your own voice as well. And as they say, "there's no accounting for taste".

You're a ****ing retard. < I actually typed that to see what the software would permit. Despite the fact the software passed "retard" (it was banned in the past), my post will; (and should), likely be pulled.

Thanks for the note, mate. Seems like we both get away with it. :)

I thought the word was a contraction of "liberal" plus the aforementioned. I like libertarians--whom by definition I believe are conservative in nature. I don't like liberals.

Thanks for the note, mate. Seems like we both get away with it. :)

I thought the word was a contraction of "liberal" plus the aforementioned. I like libertarians--whom by definition I believe are conservative in nature. I don't like liberals.
You're probably right that "liberal" is the correct part of the contraction. "Libertarian" is just what I came up with on the fly..

The problem with American politics today is there are no moderates. If I were to concoct a neologism for that, I'd go with "conservebral". (Which yeah, is a bit cumbersome).

So, you get junk in packages. A republican has to make nice with the far right to get elected. I support Trump, but I'm scared to death of what his supreme court judge might do with Roe v. Wade. Plus, it seems monumentally stupid, to de-fund planned parenthood, given the demographic which benefits the most from having it in place.

You pay once to terminate a pregnancy, but in many cases, you pay for the rest of that child's life if you don't.

It seems to me, the radical fringe of right to life groups, have never given a moment's thought as to how the rest of the country is going to pay for their "Trumped up idealism", pun intended.

But for the record, I don't at all support putting 8 month old fetuses in a blender. At least not simply for the mother's wishes or convenience.

Last edited:
Got it. It has been said (Malcolm Gladwell and "social scientists" and all that) that abortion legalization is what stemmed the crime wave that was setting upon us in the '80s. People who are not "prepared" for children often stay unprepared throughout a child's raising. If not for the single-family issue (read: departing fathers) of the black community in America, their over-representation in prisons is statistically nil. Absent parents, it seems, criminals make.

Liberals (I do not see any more democrats today--the last Dem was Bill Clinton) inflame emotion to draw their power. In media, whomever fans the flames most draws the most attention. You want a "problem" solved? Draw attention to it: even if it is a figment of everyone's imagination. Likewise, the right. They had to oppose them to keep their constituents. Both sides turned farther out. Moderates are/were/will be too..."moderate" to get readership to pick up magazines, and to appeal to emotion to get viewership for inflammatory talk-show hosts. Enter: The Fake News.

Until then, the left will have 31% of the popular vote, Moderates ~40%, and righties 29%. Thank goodness for the electoral college.

Back