Surround sound advice: Logitech x530 5.1 speakers + integrated 7.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vnf4ultra

Hi, I just got some logitech x530 5.1 speakers, and like them so far, but can't get surround sound to work, only stereo. I have integreated realtek 7.1 audio.

I have tested the speakers with the test utilty on my other pc, and they all work right.

For some reason I can't get to the sound utilty on my pc I'm trying to install this on. I used to have a "sound effect" icon near the clock, but then I removed it when I cleaned up my icons, and now I can't find a way to access the utility. I tried to install the sound drivers again, but it didn't seem to help.

I think my sound issue is also due to the fact my version of powerdvd 5 is limited, since it only lists stereo as a sound option, and 6 speaker is blanked out. So, do I have to shell out $40 for the full version of powerdvd6? Is powerdvd the one I should get, or is windvd better?

Another option I though of would be for me to just get a soundblaster live, or audigy 2 value, etc, since they probably come with a dvd playing software program that can handle surround sound(correct me if I'm wrong about that).

If I would get a sound card, should I get a creative brand? I've heard they're a pain, that you have to keep the original cd, just to install updates off the net, is that true? If so, which other brands are ok. I've seen a card based on via's envy 24, is that good?

So, I have several problems, if anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.
Vnf4ultra

Yeah, you'll need a DVD decoder which provides 6 channel output to use proper 5.1, otherwise you'll be limited to just 3D supporting games. The Creative Soundcards don't actually come with DVD decoders though they do provide CMSS for up-mixing. Alternatively search for WinDVD Tweaker http://3dgamer.tripod.com (Free/Trial version will do), that might allow you to enable 6 channel output in your version of WinDVD (May or may not work). That'd be the simplest & cheapest option to start with.

Well, I finally found how to adjust my sound settings. It was so obvious, I can't believe that I couldn't find it before. I just went to control panel/sound/sound effect manager, and set it to 6channel, and tested it and it worked. I tried searching my pc for all kinds of stuff, like realtek, sound, sound manger, sound effect, etc, to no avail. I'm glad I found it, I posted back since it may help someone else with a similar problem. I still probably need a 5.1 capable dvd player. Are there any that are free(that aren't spyware/trojans), or should I just buy power dvd/win dvd? And which is better if I would get one?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back