Surround Sound good on Low Def, Bad on High Def

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am watching the football playoffs on Fox. I have Direct TV. I just hooked my old Sony Surround Sound up (STR-K750P) and everything seems right. There is only 1 problem. The low def channel sounds much better than the high def channel. I tried to compare a movie channel on high def and low def and I think they both sounded good. This leads me to believe that Fox is the problem... Has anyone ever had this problem. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I'm guessing .......that...

The Sony number you posted is a stand-alone AV receiver?

If it is, and it is as you describe "older", it's likely that it may not handle the elevated bit-rate or the new encoding strategy that the "High-Def" sound would entail.

what about...

i probably bought it in 2003. I was part of an entertainment system (surround, sub, dvd). That def sounds like a reasonable explanation. Is it possible that the volume is just lower on high def and i just have to turn it up?

High Def...... Low Output.....

On motherboards a different chipset is shown on boards with Blue-ray compatibility. IE; Realtec ALC888 is 8 channel "standard def" sound, Realtek ALC889A is listed as being 8 channel for Blu-ray playback.

I'd trust my first instinct and call Direct TV, mostly because I wouldn't let them off the hook so easy. At least (if they're truthful) it will give you a place to start. It might come to pass that they can point you in the direction of a cure. I was (window-web) shopping for a receiver recently, (my Pioneer DSX-466S is pushing 10, it doesn't even have Pro-Logic 2 ), and it seems the more you spend the more you can decode.

Anytime you have to push up gain to achieve a normal volume level, you also boost the noise threshold. Other than Fox do you have another channel with "High-Def" sound to test your Fox Theory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back