Suse 9.1 Personal

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlem

Anyone have experience with Suse 9.1 Personal? My buddy installed it on his laptop fine but when I tried it got to the very end and said there were problems with all the packages. Guess I will stick to Fedora core 2. :)

Unless someone here thinks Suse is so much better......

If it aint broke, don't fix it!

If you have a working Fedora install, by all means continue using that.

IMHO SuSE is much more bug free and finished product than Fedora. I wouldn't recommend Fedora to anyone intending to use it as a production environment (even tho I use it on my work desktop myself (just can't be bothered to start over with some other install)).

Can't comment on your installation error if you are so vague.

I have always liked Suse better myself so I might just work on this. The error itself was very vague, the install literally ran for 40 minutes and looked like it worked but once it got to 100% it popped up an error stating that "some packages had errors" and when I scrolled down the list it was probably every package it tried to install.

That would probably be one package all the rest depend on - the kernel possibly, or the filesystem layout package (if anyone still does that), or something like X11.

Get a new burn of the discs or buy Professional. SuSE is one of the few distros of Linux I can actually use without getting seriously infuriated at it.

You can also use the FTP install. It has no help available and is a bit tricky to get working tho but you don't get any broken packages. Plus the FTP version is (almost) the equivalent of Pro version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back