Svchost.exe problem/virus - HELP! hijackthis log attached

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am having problems with my PC. Svchost.exe is running when I boot up and it eats up 90%+ of the system resources. I also have noticed regscan.exe is running now, something I have never seen in the past. Please help!

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    2.9 KB · Views: 8
Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Your system is infected with a worm and several trojans.

Very Important: Before deciding whether you should clean or reformat your system, go and read this thread HERE and decide what it is you want to do.

If after reading the above you decide you want to clean your system, do the following.

Go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT and AVG Antispyware logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of cyndicate only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Did all the steps, however the svchost.exe is still running at 99% of system resources, here is a new attachment of the HJT Log

Thanks

I requested that you post an AVG Antispyware log. Please do so in your next reply.

You`re also running a completely unpatched version of Windows. I.E you have no service packs installed.

After following these instructions, you should run Windows updates and install at least service pack 1 and preferably service pack 2.

You might want to copy and paste these instructions into a notepad file. Then you can have the file open in safe mode, so you can follow the instructions easier.

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT). See how HERE.

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how HERE.

Run HJT with no other programmes open(except notepad). Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - (no file)

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [.nvsvc] C:\WINDOWS\system\smss.exe /w

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT.

Locate and delete the following bold files and/or directories(if there).

C:\WINDOWS\system\smss.exe<Do not delete any other smss.exe file.

Reboot into normal mode and rehide your protected OS files.

Post fresh HJT and AVG Antispyware logs. Let me know how your system is running.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of cyndicate only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Hey Howard,

Thanks alot for the help. I did everything you said and so far it seems to be clear. Attached are the two logs requested, sorry for not attaching one earlier.

As regards to Service packs and IE versions, I don't think I can upgrade because a genuine version of windows was not installed initially. I haven't gotten around to formatting and putting in a valid key.

Thanks in advance. Hopefully its cleared.

Your HJT log is now clean.

Delete all files in AVG Antispyware quarantine.

Turn off system restore.(XP/ME only) See how HERE.

Then, turn system restore back on. This will delete all your restore points and anything nasty that`s in them. It will also create a new, clean restore point.

As far as your Windows is concerned, I urge you to buy a legit copy of Windows. Apart from the fact, your present installation of Windows is illegal, you cannot download the service packs and security updates. This leaves your system vulnerable to attack by malware.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back