Swapped perfect running rig into new case, wont stay running now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow, i just typed for 15 minutes and it didnt save anything i typed when i tried to post and erased it all, im so frusterated now im about to give up lol.. im not a newbie when it comes to building computers, ive built all sorts of custom rigs/client rigs, but im stumped on my own setup.

setup before case swap :

asus a7n8x-e deluxe
antec 400w PSU
athlon xp 3000+ barton
thermaltake volcano 11+ xaser edition cpu heatsink/fan
2x512 corsair xms ddr3200
geforce 6600 agp
80gig WD 7200 IDE
sony dvd/rw drive
sony cd/rw drive

ok before swap it ran PERFECT. no glitches what so ever, nice temps. I pulled everything out and dusted it all off with air duster, tore the cpu heatsink/fan off and took it all apart and cleaned it all out and reassembled, cleaned off old paste and applied new silver thermal compound, remounted heatsink on to cpu. placed screws on new case (heres link for it BTW http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811133154 ) and installed the mobo/cpu. From here on out, its self explanatory, installed all drives and stuff, spent HOURs wiring it up professionally.

Heres thwe bad part, i go to start it up, it beeps once which is a good thign to hear when starting up your pc, and i got into bios to look at temps while i troubleshoot my fans in the case making sure all are working properly and flowing air like they should be, including the cpu fan, all looked good as far as fan flow goes. less then 10 seconds after getting into bios and quickly going to the temps, my system is shutting off, but the power LED light remains on, until i hold it for 5sec and it goes off.. i repeated this twice, same results both times. Heres what ive done so far.

1)short out PSU to see if psu is overheating and turning off, ran every fan great without being hooked to motherboard, ran it for a few minutes, seemed like it was in good working order.
2) took off the cpu heatsink/fan and cleaned the cpu chip again with rubbing alchohal and the heatsink to clean all residue off, reapplied thin layer of silver compound, and remounted the heatink back onto cpu chip. Same problems.

A few times it wouldnt even post to bios, it would just turn on and shu off a few seconds later.

3)clear cmos battery, boots to bios but same issues, shuts off under 10 seconds.

4) ive tried unplugging drives to allow more psu power incase it wasnt supplying enough, stillg etting same issues.

5) when i could for a few seconds, look at temps in bios, the highest i saw it go was 45cel, but i cant even keep it running so im not really sure if its overheating or not, but wouldnt it have to get ALOt hotter then 45degrees cel in order for auto shutdown to kick on??? i cant understand why it would happen this quickly.

The way the system is now, i have ide connctors still plugged into the 2 cd drives, but no power to them. and i have the hdd disconnected entirely. and im havnig the same issues. im out of ideas, its so late and i already typed up a HUGe essay about this but it erased everythign when i tried to post, so this post is alot shorter and more to the point.... im just hoping someone out there has a clue on what might eb going on, if anyon e has any suggestions or helpful tips i would love to hear it, been working on it for hoouurrsss and i feel like ive gotten no were.. i mean it was working PERFECT before, what could it possibly be... thanks everyone.

Check the legs of the CPU. One got perhaps bent or broken off.
Make sure the mobo is not shorting agains the mounting studs. Do these all coincide with a mounting hole?
Does that mobo require the extra 4-pin power-plug as for Pentium and AMDX64?
Did you connect the reset/speaker/power/etc. small little cables correctly?

how do i know if my motherboard is shorting against the pins or mounting studs? should i put like rubber washers?

Take the mobo out of the case and set it down flat next to it, on a non conductive surface (an old anti static bag from a mobo is best) and hook it up and start up the system. If it runs OK then there is the possibility that it is shorting out on the case or one of the stand offs (the things the mount screws for the mobo thread into). Not all the holes on your mobo are mounting holes. The right ones usually have a chrome ring around them Make sure you are using only the right ones. And make sure you don't have any unnecessary stand offs connected to the case. Also make sure your PCI and AGP/PCIe devices and memory are seated properly in their slots. Also make sure the heat sink is seated level. Sometimes if they are not seated squarely it will produce symptoms similar to what you are describing.

So truflip, are you really Wootah? :) Anyway, since the screwhead has a larger diameter than the standoff, it is more likely to be touching something. They have these reddish colored, fiber washers you can place under the screwheads if you feel you need them. One time I used them, another time I didn't.

If they didn't come with the screw package of the PC case, you can buy them separately.

hmmm... whats with the smile :p and whats a "Wootah"?
I wanted to know about the shorting of circuits cuz i called eVGA n the engineers told me to check and make sure my board isnt being grounded. the zalman fan that i bought for my CPU wasnt running at 100% RPM it was like at 60-70%

anyway I got an arctic cooler freezer 64 pro and the fans are rated at 2000RPM n they are doing just that ~1950RPM give or take.. so as i thot earlier, the zalman fan is faulty n the mobo is not

BUT for safety's sake, I want to make sure my mobo isnt 'grounded' with the case (idk why the evga techs told me to avoid this honestly.. plz help) and to make sure im not accidently shorting anything

and where may i get these "reddish colored, fiber washers you can place under the screwheads" i mean, whats the actual name? i use NCIX. com n would like to do a search..

Thank you,
Wootah

Click here for a link to a site called mycableshop. It happens to be a Canadian site but they also have a USA branch that I've bought some stuff from, including a package of these washers. The quantity is probably too large for your purposes but it's mostly just to show you what I'm talking about.

ahhh these.. the zalman fan i had bought and exchanged came with these and had no clue what theyre for. thanks for pointing it out mailpup =]
Unfortunately, it costs $12 with ground shipping :S i will wait a bit till i need something else from there and order in bulk.. save money on shipping hehe

BAAAH!!! i feel so stupid hahahahaah. How did I not notice that. I get what mailpup was saying now.. oopsies...

soo uhmm... I will go look for washers at hardware stores. thats a very smart idea, thanks luvhuffer. =]

btw, where am i supposed to put these washers? under the board between the stand offs and the PCB? or on top of the board before i place the screws? or maybe both..

ehhh wtf?

eh i have no clue who tf truflip is i dont know why you guys are relating us considering i live in florida and hes in friggin canada???

anyways, i figured out the issue, somehow the copper shim i was using was not allowing my cpu heatsink to reseat itself properly, therefor the mobo was auto shutting off to prevent cpu failure due to rapid increase in temperature. I took off the heatsink and the cpu shim, put the heatsink back on with new paste and walla everything booted up perfect, running 41-44c idle and 48c under load.. temps look good to me..

thanks truflip for highjacking my thread, i still am clueless what happened here but thanks anyhow.

I feel like a straight man between Abbott and Costello (very old reference). :haha:

No offense to anyone. I'm glad everyone's problems seem to be okay for now.

Wootah said:
eh i have no clue who tf truflip is i dont know why you guys are relating us considering i live in florida and hes in friggin canada???
gosssh, chill with the 'tf' lets be more friendly. i made a mistake I DIDNT look at your name and went 'whos Wootah' till someone pointed out it was you
Wootah said:
thanks truflip for highjacking my thread, i still am clueless what happened here but thanks anyhow.
and i didnt mean to hijack your thread.. i was merely asking someone somethin thats is somewhat related to what someone else was saying/suggesting =P I didnt wanna start a new thread cuz that'd be kinda spamming isnt it?

anyway, sorry if i did hijack your thread. and sorry that your in such nice weather and well.. its wet n muddy up here atm. damn canada and its 4 seasons >_<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back