Swapping hard drives between computors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Want to swap hard drives between two computers. Both are running XP Pro. but I get no ntldll message. How do I correct this. marv1216 :bounce:

Unless both computers are IDENTICAL, that won't work. Different motherboards have different drivers, that won't work on another mobo.

you will need the xp disc to repair the nt boot loader
you may have damaged that and even putting them back may give you error
XP hates to much hardware change

Swapping Hard Drives

Have already switched back and they work fine. I would still like to switch them though. Any help would be greatly appresiated. Thanks, Marv. :knock:

Y don't back up all the files on both hard drives and switch them. I just did something like that ^ yesterday.

You connect a wire to both etherent jacks and make special folders in each hard disk drives.

Don't know what i said will work!!!

I bought a new hard drive for my laptop. So i backup my whole laptop and placed it on my desktop. Then put the new hard drive in and install windows xp, and brought the files i copied to my desktop over to my new hard drive.

You need to make both computers to have the similar ip addresses so they can connect
ex) 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.10

as far as I have tested doing a swap like this ,if you have no special hardware, you need the xp disc
go through the setup to the last part to repair the drivers for the diff MB's
worst case you will have to reactivate the OS
I test to much hardware on my machines xp would barf it up
even my W$K will give HAL errors ,but I can control that,this is why I don't use XP.

Good Luck

I use Windows 2K service pak 3 (4 sucks)
I also loaded the .netfix setup added IE 6 just to run other programs and for my free MSN account,
my browser of choice is updated mozilla for most and for hiding I use firefox
my 1 machine had windows 2K server pain in *** downgrade and use apache
I have 2 copies of XP pro
oem and VLK they sit in a draw I use them to help trouble shoot customer PC's
I have talked to microsoft deployment teams bout the activation setup they will not sell the older VLK with no activation
Rant
PS I don't go near key gens or cracks your asking for trouble if you do
to microsoft we are not potential future customers we are all potential pirates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back