Swapping PCI vid card to AGP and get Check Signal message. Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leb7285

So, I have a new FX Dominator 5500 AGP 8x/4x video card. Replacing a PCI Rage 3D IIC. Installed AGP card, got "Check Signal" message. My questions are as follows:

1. Do I need to Uninstall Driver for PCI card in Device Manager?
2. In the event I am unable to install the AGP card, can I just go back to Device Manager and click on "Update Driver" to reinstall the PCI card? Or do I need to download driver from the ATI website? Reason I ask this, is I could not find the specific driver there. Only options on ATI/Drivers for XP are Rage 128/128 Pro, Rage Pro and Rage XL. But not my IIC.
3. After I uninstall driver for PCI card, do I need to go into BIOS and tell it under Integrated Peripherals/Init Display First and change from PCI to AGP? Or should that change automatically when I plug in AGP card.
4. I bought a 8x/4x card because the guy at the computer store said it would work with my AGP 4x. Is this true?
5. Lastly, when I go into BIOS/Advanced Chipset Features/AGP & P2P Bridge Control, my two options are 2X and 1X. Shouldn't this be 4x if that is what the box for the mobo says?

If you are reading this and can answer any or all of these questions, that would be so cool!!! TIA

all right.

1-Yes, you should uninstall your old driver before installing the new card. Since your old card is ati while the new one is nvidia, you should use driver cleaner to be sure that all the old driver is gone.
2-You probably can but it's recommended that you go to the manufacture's site and download the more updated driver (plus if you use driver cleaner, it will actually wipe most traces of the old drivers(including the one windows comes).
3-Yes, you should actually go into bios to enable the agp. A lot of modern Mobo will detect the card automatically, but just to be sure, you should go into bios and enable the agp.
4-Yes, if yuor mobo support only agp 4, you should buy card with agp 4 support.
5-I am not really sue about the agp & P2p bridge, but I am guessing that you see the agp 2x and 1x is because of the voltage of the mobo. To get truely agp 4x, your card and mobo need to be able to run the voltage of the agp 4x. Some older mobo can run at agp 4x but it's at 3v (or 1.5 not sure). The newer agp 4x card actually runs at a diff voltage.

Dumb suggestion but is the monitor cable connected to the AGP card? Everything else is covered by the above post so I just thought.... :p

Thanks Putale.

2-You probably can but it's recommended that you go to the manufacture's site and download the more updated driver (plus if you use driver cleaner, it will actually wipe most traces of the old drivers(including the one windows comes). How do I tell which driver on the ATI page is for my video card? Their options for XP do not match my card.

And yes, the monitor cable is plugged into the new card. :) Thanks for the thought, though.

Many thanks!! I got the AGP card to work. I uninstalled the driver for the ATI card, changed from PCI to AGP in the BIOS and reinstalled the AGP card. When I booted up, it worked. Appreciate the help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back