Switching a fan in a PSU.Will i get zapped?

Status
Not open for further replies.

agissi

I've bought this fan thats silent to replace the one in my PSU (going to have a silent computer). The PSU has been turned off (switch on the back of it) and unpluged, for about 15 hours now. I wont be sticking my fingers on the capacitors, but I still dont want my mom to find my dead down here in my room. So is it safe to switch the fans or does it need to be unpluged longer?

Thx

A few seconds ought to do it. Switch mode PSUs (all computer power supplies) don't store electrical charge, so you've already waited 15 hrs more than you needed to. You can check by sticking your tongue across the 12v line to see if it tastes acidic. :D

Originally posted by Nic
You can check by sticking your tongue across the 12v line to see if it tastes acidic. :D

LMAO!!! ;)

I think ---agissi--- should do it, and then post back and tell us what happens.

That is only of course if he is able :)

Agissi you shouldn't have a problem as others have said, just make sure it is unplugged.

I was planning on doing this also. I want to change my fans in my PSU to LED fans, for the lighting effect in my case, and perhaps a PSU mod if I want.

So do you guys have any pointers on this...? Like something I should definately avoid when in there or something I should make sure of etc...?

Well for me, it works but not too well. The 2pin connecter the PSU takes, and the one that the fan came with slightly differed, to the point where I couldnt get the fan to plug into the PSU. So I hooked it up with a 3pin connecter. The fans wires/cable is running outside of the PSU, into one of the mobo 3pin fan jacks. Only bad thing is, the fans 3pin wires wernt long enough. So I ended up taking another 3pin wire, stripping it, and making an extension :D Only thing is, the extension is just kinda holding together. Theres no tape or soldier holding it together, so I dunno how this will go since I go to lans frequently.

At least you can now easily get your tongue in to test your psu. :D

Maybe you can cut the 2-pin connector from your old fan and splice it onto your new fan. Only the black and red wires are required as you won't need the speed sensing third wire.

Thanks for the suggestion nic, but I think I'll just nap a 3 to 4 pin connecter from a friend ;)

If it was my situation, agisii, I would have cut off the wires at a certain point and sauder the new fan to it then tape it together or get one of those joint thingys and pinch it.

Originally posted by XtR-X
If it was my situation, agisii, I would have cut off the wires at a certain point and sauder the new fan to it then tape it together or get one of those joint thingys and pinch it.

rotf yea, but I didnt want to get my dad to bring home the saudering iron.

I thought you said it was 2-pin. Anyway, I'm sure you know what you want.

it was a 2pin, but from the fan, it came with these connectors, to take the 2pin off the fan and make it a 3pin. Its kinda weird, never seen a fan like it before.

You don't need to use a sauder. I wish I could have the time to look up what you needed and showed you a picture but I just started this reply and have to go.

It's basically a little thing, you stick one wire in one end, and another wire in the other end, and you pinch it tight with pliers, the wires stay put, and they still have conductivity.

Changing the fan is usually a pretty simple matter. Some PSUs may use a proprietary or odd connector on their fan that could be hard to find. You will probably want to open it up and look at it first and see what kind of connector it takes.

You won't get zapped just from opening the PSU, but if you don't feel comfortable doing it - Then don't.

My friends and I have tried opening up a PSU last year...nothing happens we all are still alive. Shouldn't be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back