Switching from ACPI to APM in 2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

videobruce

Without reinstalling 2k, how can you switch from ACPI to APM since I know you just can't change the driver?

Gigabyte GA-5AX (rev 3) with a Ali V chipset isn't compatable with 2k in the ACPI mode that I just found out.
It cuts the FSB down by 50%
Neither M$, Gigabyte or Ali have anything on this that I could find, but I did find it in a Google search suggested by someone else:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...=a0kC6.174%24Z74.43668%40news.abs.net&rnum=28

I don't think you can. I wasn't able to do it. Tried switching off ACPI once but I went back to using it. Had to reinstall twice in the process.

It is possible and the link Mic provided has directions to do it. I have had it work on 4 different systems without any permanent problems.

Please make sure you are comfortable with the Windows 2000 repair process before you do it though. :) Just as a precaution. Alternatively, there are other ways to deal with problems you might encounter when you change power manage layers.

yes, you change hardware abstraction layer. you do this by going into device manager and changing the driver for the computer as a whole from ACPI PC to standard PC I believe.

Well, yes you can change it, but I remember my computer not working after I tried it. It's been a couple years so my memory is a bit foggy, heh, my memory is a bit foggy after a few days.

I used to change mine to several different settings on a regular basis since I was on a duallie with a Creative sound card. There is constant crackling with Duallies and SMP machines so I would have to change it to uniprocessor when I wanted to play some games without all that noise. I tried several of the different settings and never had a problem with it - but maybe I just had really good luck with it. I did it the way Phantasm66 described it.

LNCPapa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back