Symantec Ghost

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for any Ghost guru's out there. I am wanting to ghost a HD with W2k on it, it's currently running on a POS E-Machine 333cs e-tower. I have a new D310 Compaq EVO box with a P4 in it and I need the HD to be ghosted and to be able to run on the new EVO. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

1) save your current E-machine's HD
2) on the E-machine go into device-manager and uninstall all your hardware.
If you have PC-specific drivers like VIA unsinstall there as well.
3) ghost this HD for transplant to new PC
4) copy the original save from step 1 back onto E-machine, so it keeps its functionality
5) copy ghosted file from step 3 onto new HD in Compaq. When you startup this PC, all hardware of the new PC will be re-installed.

However, it is not a good solution. Better to make a clean install, setting the Computer to be a Standard PC (NOT the ACPI type).
Search the other forums to show you how this is done (it is all out there)

Thanks for the suggestions. Could someone direct me to a forum or how to search the forums for this issue? The main reason for ghosting my old hard drive to use on the new machine is because I have some very important programs that I use and I no longer have the disks for or can't find them. Also I have spent an incredible amount of time to install programs that I need on my emachine and don't have the time to reset all this up on the new computer. Thanks again.

This should be no problem. Just create a ghost image of the machine via a GhostCast server to some remote machine (your ghost server) - then, cast this image down to your new machine. Once the ghost is complete boot with a Win2K cd and do a repair on you Win2K install. Should be good then. Lemme know if you have any probs.

What if I am cloning just to another hard drive installed the clone drive into the upgraded machine and booted it up with the W2K cd, would that work?

whatever you do you're going to need some luck because of all the new hardware. You'll probably have similar success rate by simply copying all the files to a new hard drive, installing the drive in your new PC, then running the win2k setup to reinstall (upgrade) that installation. Good luck.

If I understand you correctly then yes, that should work rasql. Nic, that's pretty much what a repair is going to do.

Well, I've tried all of your suggestions but no success. When I boot up the PC with the newly ghosted harddrive all I get after the bios runs is a blinking cursor in the upper left corner of the screen. Not sure what to do from here, except start reading documentation on ghost.

You did a repair from there? I've seen that before - and after a Windows repair everything was fine.

Yes, I ran the repair. And the program said it was reparied successfully. I'm thinking maybe the differences of the BIOS maybe affecting the disk from booting up? Either that, or the boot record is being damaged somehow in the cloning process??

I do it a minimum of once a week - and have NEVER had it fail after a repair. I've done it across several sets of different hardware and even to laptops from a desktop ghost image. All worked for me. :( Dunno why it's not working for you after a repair and it's essentially a reinstall of the OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back