Sysprep Image hangs if no Admin permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
XP Pro OEM Sysprep Image hangs when user without local admin rights logs in for the first time (or anytime)

OK, here is the issue that I am hoping someone will be able to help me with.

I have created an OEM XP Pro Image via ghost that I have syspred’ed. The image copies down just fine to that PC. The image runs the mini setup just fine as well as joins my domain just fine. Logging in as an administrator (both domain and local) works great and all appears to be perfect.… But when a new user (no pre-existing user profile on local machine) attempts to login, the system hangs with the “explorer.exe” process max’ed out. Typically, I have to do a hard reboot in order to kill the “explorer.exe” process” Now, If give the user “local admin” permissions to the PC, the user can log in and the process doesn’t hang. When I first saw this, I thought maybe a just of files were needing to be copied down to the PC and that the user profile needed admin rights to do so, i.e. to write specific info to C:\ or some directory like the registry. Even after logging in with a user profile that has both local and domain admin rights, all is fine, then removing the admin permissions from the profile, the problem comes back, i.e. the system hangs when logging in and has the “explorer.exe process max’ed out.

Have a feeling that this either has to do with syspreping an OEM XP Pro vs. an VLA XP pro version and some odd permission issue (the SID or HAL) but don’t know why or how to fix this issue…

Has anyone else run into this issue?

rmcauley said:
Have a feeling that this either has to do with syspreping an OEM XP Pro vs. an VLA XP pro version and some odd permission issue (the SID or HAL) but don’t know why or how to fix this issue…

Has anyone else run into this issue?

Just a thought, is there any process loading at logon that requires admin rights, maybe a script of some sort or other...?

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back