System boot failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
At my friend's advice, I went into BIOS and selected "load optimum defaults" and hit save and exit. Now on the next boot-up, I received the error message "System boot failure, insert system disk and press enter"
So I inserted my reinstall disk for Windows XP Media center edition, but that didnt help. I then formatted and reinstalled windows, but I still get the same error message. Since then I have tried running "fixmbr" "fixboot" "chkdsk" and resetting my bios, but still no luck in fixing the problem. It was working fine on my old computer, and I switched the HDD to my new one and it ran fine until i loaded optimum defaults, and now it doesnt. What should I do to fix it?

Shoot friend. Rename friend enemy. Get a new drive if you have valuable data on this one. Format and install new drive. Copy valuable data from old drive.
Get a good book on Windows XP.
But what is perhaps relevant here is why you asked your friend for advice in the first place... this could be part of an ongoing saga.

What motherboard are you running?
System Specs?

I'm putting my money on your bios settings. Reset your bios, either through the jumpers or removing the battery for a bit. (unplug your psu)

My mobo is a Gigabyte GA-K8NE, with a gig of ram and a 2ghz processor. I already unplugged the psu and pulled the battery out of its socket for about a minute and put it back, but the problem is still there.

This may be a stupid question... but I have to ask. Have you tried assigning your HD as your main boot device?

<edit>
Just to elaborate. The default settings may have set the boot priority list floppy->CD-ROM->HD or CD-ROM->Floppy->HD. In some cases where there is no floppy you can get the message above.
</edit>

Sata. Western Digital 80 gig hdd. I ordered my original computer from Dell, with the OS already on it, then I put the hdd into my new custom computer, then the problem came up, and Im not entirely sure if the OS reinstall disc is the right one for the job, because it says its just a reinstall disc of the OS, and doesnt have any of the drivers or programs. So Im going to get a retail copy of XP and install it. Im hoping that this will finally solve it.

The Dell discs and hard drives will always check to see if there is a change in hardware, as per licensing requirements by Microsoft.
Dell discs will not work in any other computer... but usually you can call Microsoft and re-register the install on that drive... and all after that will be rosy.
Using the new retail WXP is a better choice, and will take care of the problems.

hum; Probably stating the obvious, but you should now reach a major conclusion:
Don't fix it if it isn't broken​
Too bad you were hasty in the reformat and reinstall as it was likely to be
correctable .

I'm not pouring salt into your wounds, but making a point for those that read your
plight and that they have a vicarious experience without suffering your pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back