System crashes while im using games

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi ijust installed my 1st rig, everythings ok but unfortunely the system totally crashes the monitor goes black and its power led starts to blink when im playin games, especially after i up the video settings

i have an asus a8n and a chintech6600g vid card
any suggestions

Oddly enough i was about to post a similar thread along the same lines myself when i saw yours!

My wretched PC has also done a total shutdown shortly after a game is started - only twice so far, but clearly there is something wrong. There have been other Game related issues with and i had to do a Format just a week ago :mad: It isn't overheating and has a 550W PSU, which is kinda pointing me to the CPU maybe? It's also an ASUS mobo witha 3Ghz P4 on it and 1Gb of RAM.

What PSU is in yours?

I'm not trying to hijack your post but the thread is so similar i just thought i'd join in, but happy to post separately if you wish..

So i'd like an opinion as well to this if anyone has one...

Regards
Steve

Hi guys.

I would urge both of you to download and run memtest86+ from www.memtest.org

Let it run for at least seven passes. This will at least rule out any ram problems there may be.

Also make sure that you have both got the latest video drivers for your respective cards.

cyro26 Please post your full system specs including your psu and OS.

Smafie I wouldn`t worry too much about your cpu as I don`t think that`s the problem.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

hi thanks for the reply, my specs so far
samsung syncmaster 955df
chaintech 6600g vid card
asus a8n mobo
athlon3500+ winchester.
creative audioulgy soundblaster.
new version windows xp sp2 ed.
coolermaster rs 450 aclx psu
corsiar vs512m bddr400

Thanks for the specs.

Still need to know your OS and version and the size in watts of your power supply.

I think your power supply probably has too weak of 12v rails, it has 18a and 16a. The a64 needs a min. of 18a, I think, so when you push it in games it probably stresses it too much. What does that psu meter show? Is it maxed out?

Yes very well a power supply its sad to see how many people over look a power supply when they build a system or add to a system..

thats awaful and i wanted to add a 2nd card. well the meter that comes with this power supp never even goes past halfway, doesnt seem stressed for juice at alll are you sure?
howard i didnt know what do to once i got into that memtest webpage, will this really help and which do i DL? is there anything out there thats easier to use?

what power supply do you have? as for the memory test do you have a floppy drive if not you will need to get a ISO image and burn to disk...

coolermaster rs 450 aclx psu (seemed like a good one)
no i dont have a floppy.

i just started diablo 2 and the system crazhed as soon as i went into real gameplay.some times it doesnt. mind you i just installed everything new in my computor. also notice the screen flicker more then usual when i use other programs. is there a real way for me to tell what this problem is???

Idont think chaintec support is very good, they didnt even pick up the phone yesterday

please help

Please do NOT move the red switch as this will alter the voltage of your psu to 230volts and may cause serious damage to your system.

NOOOOO! Don't do it!

That selects you voltage coming in from the outlet. If you're in america it should be 115. What I mean is that your psu is probably underpowered in the +12v amps. I.E. not enough amps supplied, this is a physical characteristic of the psu, it can't be changed. (The powerstream psus have adjustable rails, so if you need more power, you can turn it up.) The only way to fix it is to get a new psu. Hopefully you can just return/exchange your current one for a better one.

I don't think dual rail psus are the best for sli, most dual rails(12v1 18a, 12v2 16a) have rails that are just too weak. I think a single strong rail is best (12v 25a+, 30a+ even better).

ok so..... im reading the manual and its say for a 3400+ amd and 2 pci 6600gt cards whats needed is

> 17a req 12 v current
=> 350 w
my psu
for 12v 18a rail 1? 16a rail 2? peak
12a 10a continuity
450w maxx

howard_hopkinso said:
Hi guys.

I would urge both of you to download and run memtest86+ from www.memtest.org

Smafie I wouldn`t worry too much about your cpu as I don`t think that`s the problem.

Thanks Howard..

I gave it a thorough test of 9 passes and got the all clear with 0 errors. So one can assume the RAM is OK i guess! It seems to do this when under extreme load. I have the latest Nvidia driver as well.

As an aside, when it shuts down i cant restart it for several minutes afterwards, if that's any help?

Thanks for the tip on that app

Regards
Steve

Yeah, your psu has a max amperage of 18a peak, but only 12a continuous. That's probably too weak. I'm not sure if manufacturers usually state continuous or peak though. So if the powerstream has 28a, is that peak or continuous?

Edit: I think they state max amps.

Smafie said:
Thanks Howard..

I gave it a thorough test of 9 passes and got the all clear with 0 errors. So one can assume the RAM is OK i guess! It seems to do this when under extreme load. I have the latest Nvidia driver as well.

As an aside, when it shuts down i cant restart it for several minutes afterwards, if that's any help?

Thanks for the tip on that app

Regards
Steve

In that case I`m inclined to believe it`s some kind of overheating issue with your video card or possibly your cpu.

Open up your case and clean out all the dust bunnies with a little compressed air.

Do NOT use a vacuum cleaner because of the risk of static build up.

Also download and install Motherboard monitor(MBM5) from HERE

Let us know what your cpu temps are.

checked vid card

can it be that my vid card is overheating??? seems like the heatsink isnt glue to the processor, i took it out and the fan moves around a lil doesnt feel glued u guys think that my card is overheating therefore making my system crazh, i mean the system does stay on when i crash so i dont think its my psu, any feedback

It could be overheating. Is the heatsink making contact with the core? If not, it's really bad, it probably will fry. You could get an aftermarket cooler(one that's quiet) and use some as5 or whatever thermal compound. What temp is your card? My 6600gt says in the graphics properties box. When I click on 6600gt, then I can click temperature settings in the side box and it has a thermometer.

thanks for answering agian. ya know iwent on the nvidea site and DL the newest drivers and i think its fixed. well see tommarrow. but ya know i looked at the thermal comp thats in there and its not much i can move the heatsink around a lil bit. i dont think its making contact but im not sure. i can tell you that my gpu temp is 44 deg C around 50 when im playing rome at full specs.
3d05 mark around 3500.

should i return it to zipzoom?

My 6600gt runs from 40-55C usually. So your temps are in line. If a driver issue was the problem, that's good, drivers are free :).

I have had problems with my 6800 ultras

I have had driver problems with my 6800 ultras as well and have even had the GPU crash when playing a game and I am using the newest drivers and I know my system's hardware is not the problem I am leaning towards the fact that it is either that there is still a problem with the coding of the driver or it is a problem with windows. I should have it trouble shot soon. The problem I have ruled out of being my CPU, PSU, BIOS settings, and the hardware. I belive it to be (1) a driver conflict of somekind, (2) unknowen problem with the O/S, (3) Game/program compaditability problem, as Half Life, Half Life2 and TFC are the games I normaly play and there are some minor issues I have had in these games. One problem I have had a few times I have had with thes games With another computer that is a P4 with an Ati card so my AMD with nVidia cards are ruled out on that; on the P4 I played around with the setting and the crashing stoped but one of my problems seems to still be there with the nVidia Card(s) " it is mor prominent when I enable SLI mode but is hardly noticeable With one card, other then in HL2. I get the lines either way so I play that game with both cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back