System Dead!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read some of the posts here regarding systems that won't post or boot up. I am by trade a research and development engineering tech/prototype engineering coordinator. I have an understanding of electronics and computer systems, but am stumped at the moment.

My second system, a 3.06gig Pentium 4 will not POST. When I push the power switch, all I get are the three LEDs on the keyboard (Num Lock, Caps Lock, and Scroll Lock) flashing on and off. Flashing in no particular order as if it were a code sequence, just flashing on and off. Nothing else…no fans, no LEDs, no monitor, nothing. This is a list of what I have already done to try and fix this problem:

1. Change keyboard
2. Change mouse
3. Change power supply
4. Test voltages on power supply (using DVM)
5. Change video card
6. Reseat RAM
7. Reseat CPU and fan
8. Test front panel power switch (using DVM)
9. Physically jump out pins on the MB Power On header
10. Clear the CMOS
11. Disconnect all drives and remove all cards but the video card.
12. Change the video card
13. Inspected board for any burned out components…there are none that I can see.

I think that about covers it. I am hoping someone else may have run into this problem and can help me figure out which way to go next. I hate to loose this MB as they do not make it any longer. What follows is what the system consists of:

Gigabyte GA-8PE667 Ultra 2 (478 pin)
Pentium 4 @ 3.06 gig
1gig (2-512mb/16CH sticks) Samsung PC333 DDR RAM
4- Maxtor DiamondMax 10 80gig ATA133 HDs
ATI 9800 Pro 128mb AGP video card
Antec TruePower Trio 550 watt SLi power supply

The rest of the peripherals don’t matter as far as troubleshooting this problem. Any help is greatly appreciated.

things you haven't done-
1. replace the CMOS battery.
2. replace the CPU
3. did you get a BIOS beep
4. did you check the mobo manual for LED flash code meanings?
5. when you say you tested the PSU- did you use a tester or a multimeter?

1. CMOS battery is OK
  2. System will not POST so there are no beep codes
  3. Can't find any meanibng for a continuos flashing of the keyboard. It flashes regardless of pushing the front panel power switch, as long as the PS is on...it flashes
  4. Not only was the PS tested with a DVM (digital voltage meter/multimeter) with and without a load, I replaced it just for GPs with a brand new one and get the same result.

As for changing the CPU...I don't have a spare available to me and question the idea of purchasing a 478 pin CPU if the board is dead. If I have to invest in a new board I can't see staying with old technology. It's just that this is a really nice MB and I hate to loose it. If I could buy a replacement I most definitely would but after consulting with Gigabyte they inform me they don't make it any longer and have none in stock.

I was hoping someone here may have run into this in the past and could help me figure out which way to go next. Thanks for the input.

Regards

When the you have the computer powered up (as far as you can anyway) check for flashing lights on your motherboard and see if there is anything in the mobo manual or online to decipher a flash code (if there is one). Otherwise, I would be lead to believe that you have a dead motherboard.

Can you give us any insight on whether there were any oddities you noticed about the computer before it died? Did it just not power up one day, die during use, noticed a power surge, etc...

Depending upon the OS:

Boot with the install disk in the cd

Try Safe Mode boot

Try getting into Bios

then your PSU is shot or not connected completely.

ensure your CPU power is connected.

nickslick74:
There is nothing lit on the board and there are no flash codes associated with this mother board. As far as anything odd occurring prior to this problem, no, it just wouldn't power up. No surges, although it's on a Belkin 1200 watt battery back-up (yes I have tried it without the battery back-up). It just died. Have you ever heard of phenomena called "tin whiskers"? It is quite interesting. Do a search and read about it, this is not a joke.

As far as the PS not being connected properly Sarge, not only has it been disconnected, tested, reconnected, changed to a brand new one, that one tested, and then connected again, I highly doubt that is a possibility. The system acts the same with both the old and new power supplies. These connectors are all keyed and all the power connectors lock into place. I have double checked and triple checked all the connections. I really want to save this board so keep them coming.

CCT:
The OS, BIOS, Safe Mode are all irrelevant if the system will not POST. thanks anyway.

Regards,
LS7

Well, sometimes people with troubles here don't know the diff between boot, post or bunny behinds but it's nice you do.

On the other hand, you have a bad case of dead in either your cpu or bios chip.

It's a dual BIOS MB and I am slowly beginning to accept the inevitable. I am going to have to replace the MB. It is really too bad as this was one of the hottest 478pin MBs for Gigabyte and I really wanted to salvage it. Thanks everyone for all your input.

Regards
LS7

Hi,

Before you move on, had something similar with my outfit, as it happens the lights on the keyboard were flashing but nothing else was happening, turns out that the keyboard had packed up, which must have upset the comp, just a thought for you.

Regrads, Ellgor.

Well, what have I got to loose? I'll try a third keyboard I have floating around here somewhere. Thanks Ellgor

Regards
LS7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back