System gives continuous beeping sound!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkteo

Currently running Win2K Pro with Service Pack 4 on Abit TH7-II motherboard, Pentium 4 1.7 GHz, 512MB RDRAM and Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 80GB hard drive.

When scanning my system for viruses using either Norton Antivirus 2004 or Trend Micro's online Housecall, the hard drive will suddenly stop scanning and the desktop tower's speaker will start to beep. I don't quite know how to describe the beep so please forgive me.

The beeping is just two tones, kinda like an ambulence or police siren. As in it is not "beep beep beep..." but more like "ee or ee or..."

Would users please advice me on what might be the problem? Just to be safe I am going to back up my data now.

There are several possibilities on the top of my head, but most are highly improbable. The most logical ones include, though:

1. The HD is going bad.
2. The Motherboard's boot virus protection or some other protection scheme is going apea and freezing the system.
3. A bad driver for the MB/HD sending improper instructions.
4. Hardware resource conflict.

Does your system totally freeze when this occurs? Does this symptom occur in any other circumstance than virus scanning???

I feel your pain

I don't have a solution but mine is doing the same. It makes the beeping sound when it is about to crash. My husband thought it was overheating and put ice packs around it ha-ha! I think it is when the system is in crisis such as mine. It has a trojan virus that I cannot remove.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back