System hang? Stuttering

Status
Not open for further replies.

dapperdan2005

Helo, the symtoms, well while playing music the comp will just freeze for a sec and the music will stutter and cut out sometimes, then itll start playing again normally. It does this every few minutes, or at random. I have a Intel P4 2.8GHZ 800fsb 1Gig of ram, Geforce 6600GT 80 gig serial ata hard drive, 500W power supply, and sound blaster audigy platinum. Any help here would be great.

it sounds like a low memory problem, but with 1GB you should be fine, so either you are having memory hardware probs (which would result in Windows hangs and BSOD) or you have a lot of back ground processes running. A lot of processes running could mean a virus/trojan or spybots. Do you regulary scan for these and run active protection?

If yes to above question, then all I can suggest is a HDD defrag and a page file increase ( virtual memory can be set to 1.5X to 3X your actaully mem size). (set it like this: My Computer/properties/advanced/Performace Settings/Advanced/at the bottom "Virtual Memory", press change.)

If that doesn't help, what application are you using to play your music. Try updating it.

I use MIcrosoft antispyware and antivirus. They are running at all times, and have daily scans. I just defraged my HD the other day, so I will try increasing the virtual memory and see if that helps. Could it be a bios setting?

No not in BIOS but it could be a problem with your mimi drivers. Did you check DEvice Manager and look for anything with a flag (!, X, etc) in the Sound, Video, game/then double click on your sound card driver, check for resource conflicts too.

What app are you using MusicMatch JukeBox?, MediaPlayer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back