System hangs with AMD64

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have an AMD64 3000+ with 512DDR RAM, MSI RS480M2-IL motherboard, GeForce 6200 128MB PCI Express . My OS is Windows XP Professional. My computer always hangs whenever I'm playing games. I tried installing windows xp 64 but i faced the same problems. Someone help me please. Or my Dad will sell it. PLeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaseeeeeeeee

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

What psu do you have?

Is it a brand name, or the one that came with the case?

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

hey howard hopkinso thanx for ur help
but what does psu mean
dont mind my 'not knowing' of this please
but u gotta help me
n which brand name u talking bout?
is it of the motherboard

Psu=power supply unit.

If you have an underpowered psu it can cause your system to hang.

Even a good quality psu will only achieve around 70% efficiency, with a cheap one not getting anywhere near that.

Look HERE at this handy psu wattage calculator.

There`s also an excellent article about psu`s HERE.

You may have to open your case to see what wattage your psu is.

Regards Howard :)

Hard to say at this point. First let's see what you HAVE before deciding whether or not you need to replace it. Try this. Open up your case. You know where your computer's power cord connects to your computer in the back, right? Up at the top (if your case is stand up type).

Look inside the computer, and you will see that the power cord is actually connected to a little box inside your case. That box is your PSU. Look for a label on that box, and tell us:

1. Who the maker is
2. The model #
3. How many watts

And.... don't touch anything inside at this point.... just to be safe ;)

By the way, your problem is probably 1 of 4 things:

1. your PSU - which is what we are checking as soon as you give us the info. It may be a lower quality PSU and freaking out when you go to play games because this uses up a lot of power.
2. Drivers are not up to date. Have you ever installed drivers before? You go to the website of the maker of your motherboard and download them there. Specifially look for your chipset drivers. Then go to the website of the maker of your video card and do the same. Download the latest drivers for your video card, and install them.
3. overheating - try installing this: https://www.techspot.com/downloads/26-motherboard-monitor.html so you can keep track of your temperatures. You don't want your CPU going up into the 60s (celcius). If you find it is going higher, let us know and we'll walk you through the next steps.
4. Faulty memory - you can check your ram with this software: www.memtest86.com

Don't worry, we won't let your dad sell your computer! :bounce:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back