System irregular poweroff stages - NEED HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I need some serious help. I am building my first computer and ran into a HUGE problem, the system cuts off at various times after starting. It usually doesn't make it to load the OS. I tried entering the BIOS, which only worked once and then it cut off. I have emailed tech support and am waiting for a response. I have online classes that will be starting soon and need this system running today.

If anybody is willing to help me here are the specs of my system:
Case: Aspire X-Navigator w/ 500W
MB: Giga-byte GA-81848P775-G
CPU: Intel P4 3.0 GHz w/ Zalman heatsink
Graphics: ATI Radeon 8????
SOund: Santa Cruz
HDD: 2, one w/40GB & one w/160GB
CD/DVD: 2

I also am unsure if I possibly incorrectly connected the Floppy drive (which is DELL, sucks!) because I don't know if the cable is connected the correct way and if that would cause the problem.

Anybody willing to help please do.

ok afew things to check .

1. is the four pin power conncector plugged in? that would be the one close to the CPU that intel based chipsets require.

2. are the Optical drives properly jumpered? one set to master and the other to slave?

3. are the hard drive's jumpered properly? ( in reality here I would say ditch one of the drives for now and go with one drive to install widows on. you can add th eother drive later.

4. since you listed the power supply with the case I am assuming it came with the case? those are usually garbage and it could potentially be the source of your problem.

5. in the bios set the bios to "fail safe defaults" or what ever the default setting is for the bios.

6. for now just ditch the floppy and yes it being incorrectly installed can casue boot problems. ( in fact I would do this first to see if it solves the problem)

I will try your suggestions and let you know how it goes. Thank you so much. I have an extra power supply that I bought months ago and will try that after I take the floppy drive off. I found online the proper way to connect a floppy drive, but I still will take it off as you suggested.

Thanks,
davidltp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back