System Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

DfraGG3r

Hi there. I have a problem with the pc and need some professional help if possible.

Lately, for the last ~3 days, when i switch on the pc, i doesnt go to the desktop/logon screen but remains a black screen like there's no signal into the monitor (blinking green monitor led)

To be able to go to the dekstop the first time i did a system restore and it worked, another time i chose "boot the last know good configuration" and worked up to the desktop.

Today it was i think the worst till now. When i switched on the pc after some seconds i hear the pc restart (the screen is still black) and looped with the restart until i switched the pc off. After some tries it switched on normally, but did the same thing as mentioned before (black screen). I rebooted and chose "boot the last know good configuration" and it went to the desktop.

Windows XP Pro is installed on the IDE HDD. THe system was formatted some 3 weeks to a month ago. It was fine until now :/

My system is:

P4 Prescot 3Ghz s478
Asrock P4VT8+
Seagate Barracuda 80GB IDE 7200.7
Maxtor Diamond Max 10 Sata 160GB
512x2 TakeMS RAM
500W Rocketeer PSU
Gainward 6600GT 256mb AGP
DVD Reader & CDRW

Hope someone will help me solve this prob :(

Thanks in advance

YOu have a hardware problem. first likely suspect would be the hard drive itself. Download and run your hard drive makers diagnostic tools. the second likely suspect would be the ram. Download and run memtest.

These were the results with seagate tools. It found a probs with the index. Afterwards i runned a full checkdisk. TIll now it booted fine, but will check the system tomorrow after a long period switched off. Thanks for the help

Timer Resolution: 0.000122
Long Test Begin: 26-Jul-2006 16:43:25
Cable Test - 0 Errors
Buffer Test - 0 Errors
Identify Data
Model Number: ST380011A
Serial Number: 3JV5XVYR
Firmware Revision: 3.06
Default CHS: 16383-16-63
Current CHS: 16383-16-63
Current Capacity: 16514064 Sectors
Total Capacity: 156301488 Sectors
Conductor Cable Reported
ID Method: Jumper
SMART Enabled
SMART Check: Passed
Full Scan (0 to 156301488) - Passed
Elapsed Time: 37.60 Minutes
Estimated Internal Transfer Rates
Min: 34.93Mb/s Max: 427.87Mb/s Avg: 297.50Mb/s
Long Test Passed: 26-Jul-2006 17:21:03
SMART Disabled

Diagnostic Results:

File Structure Test Result:

Partition 1 (NTFS (47.8 GB) ) Result: Failed with critical Errors

The following errors were found while scanning the volume:
- One or more errors were found in the index

NOTE: Any report of possible errors in the file system tests are for
informational purposes only. We suggest you should consider testing with
the official file system diagnostic utilities for your operating system.
Seagate is not able to assist with troubleshooting or reviewing
file system test results.

Recommendation:
If you are not experiencing data loss and SeaTools reports File
System Structure errors, they may be caused by a lock-up or
failure to shutdown Windows correctly. Many times, these errors
may be repaired through normal system maintenance which
includes using the Windows provided "Defrag" and
"Scandisk / Chkdsk / Error Checking" utilities.

If you are experiencing a hardware error, you should isolate
the cause and replace the failing component. If you are unsure how
to proceed with repairs, contact a computer professional. After
completing any maintenance tasks, run SeaTools again to
verify that all errors have been repaired. If errors continue to
occur, the system may not be stable. Again, contact a computer
professional.

If you just reformatted last week and that is the result you are getting with the diagnostic tools then your hard drive is probably dying. You had better plan on getting a new one.

As such i have only the OS and software installations on that HDD, the important stuff is on the Sata HDD.

Can it be that windows did a one time fault and corrupted that certain part? cos seagate are known for hdd longevity and this hdd was in this pc for about ~3 years. Also i tried HDDLife, which tells you the percentage life of the hdd and there was 67%, which is fine i think. the prog said it was fine too.

if you want to be sure try a repair install of windows. but personally, I dont think that is going to make a difference. Seagates are excellent drives I have ones that are still running fine after 5 years, but there are always exceptions.

uptil now, when i made the scan disk/ checkdisk after the bootup, the pc logged normally. ill wait till tomorrow to be sure if the problem persists. I wil lswitch off the PC tonight and see if it turns on normally in the morning.

Thx, tomorow will post with what happened, wish it has been fixed though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back